"I see the exhibits are currently closed."  James last week when he came home to the shade cloth coverings up here and there, again.  

I thought I'd be taking them down Saturday FOR GOOD, nope the 100°'s stuck around, down to 94° today.  I'll take them down tomorrow, 78°!!!  I'm going to need long sleeves!  Since it was a little cooler, I went out and fooled all the plants into thinking we were having an Arizona style monsoon.  
And took photos of the areas that felt cool, even in the hot weather.  This will be a short post ;). One more pic of Yucca rostrata, just because she's so dang pretty. With the palm trees getting taller, this slope area above the pool gets a really nice dappled sun in the afternoon.

Sweet rosy rosettes of Aeonium,
In front of a plane touchdown, these sunburst Aeonium are in the full shade, so they continue to look lovely in the summer.
And under them, every year I find this dirt clod thing - I thought it was a bee or wasp nest.  If I would hit it with a spray from the hose a big plume of dirt would fly through the air.  I showed Sophia when she was here, and she immediately said no, that's a mushroom, Mom.  And those are spores flying through the air, not dirt.  Kinda cool. *I think she said they were edible.  I ate plenty of dirt as a kid, but I think I'll leave these be.
Banksia blechnifolia, I'm so glad this has prospered.  It's only covered because it's near the new Phylica pubescens, who I'm trying to convince to stick around.  
Look at that, I belive that will be a cone.  They kind of set upright on the ground.
These cute saxifraga have made it through the summer (shady spot on the slope)  I'm thrilled!  They are mounted on rocks, I was worried for them with our very dry heat.   


Probably cheating with this cool spot, 2 umbrellas are temporarily up.  
Dr. Feelgood absolutely loves the heat.  I don't know how he stands it with his fur coat.  What a little clown.

Is it feeling like fall where you are?  I'm absolutely looking forward to the brilliance of September and October weather!  

Comments

  1. That is a gorgeous Y. rostrata. Your garden looks great, too.

    Dr. Feelgood knows how to relax!

    We're forecast to be back in the 70's on Wednesday. Whew! Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He certainly lives up to his name, that's for sure. YES on the cooler weather for us all, it's going to feel so nice.

      Delete
  2. Is it feeling like fall? Uh, no... Well, it feels like typical fall here. Which means hot weather and wildfires. At least, that's been typical weather the last couple decades or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it is cooling today for you Liz. It feels very different here this morning with the cooler temps!

      Delete
  3. I hope the plants thoroughly appreciated their monsoon! Your Yucca rostrata looks a LOT better than mine. Mine was a 4-inch plant from Annie's I had in a pot for 2 years. After growing very little there, I planted it in the ground in February 2021 and it still looks relatively small - I keep waiting for a sudden growth spurt! Fingers crossed for your Banksia flower! I'm anxiously watching the cones on my 2 Proteas to see if I'll get flowers at last this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How weird, I replied earlier and it's gone? I have a couple Y.rostrata from Annie's, too. And they are both stagnant, something is up with that. I should inspect the roots for those horrible little grow bags you sometimes find. I hope you get lots of Protea flowers this year!

      Delete
  4. OMG! Saxifraga on a rock... It doesn't get any sweeter than that.
    I cracked up at: "that's a mushroom, Mom". Gardeners in the PNW are familiar with those little 'Spores Spewing' darlings :D When they grow in my tiny strip of lawn my partner brings out his golf club: can't miss an opportunity to practice his swing. Mushrooms are harbingers of Autumn and I'm excited for my favorite time of year.
    Your kitty looks so darn adorable!!!
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I love the Saxifraga imbedded in the rock. I laughed at the golf practice, pow! *So weird, your comment disappeared for a while. Blogger is being weird, or my connection.

      Delete
  5. Garden looks great! I love that yucca, too. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like all your summer survival strategies are working -- the plants look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, all the covers came down today yay!

      Delete
  7. Hope the plants continue to survive the extreme heat. Take care yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susie. The shades are down and so are the temps!

      Delete
  8. Oh those sweet rosy rosettes of Aeonium are very sweet indeed. I love that domed look, something we just don't see much around here (they're usually single rosettes or branched plants). Today is definitely feeling fall-ish (drizzle and a chilly 57 at 8:45 am), the rest of Portland is thrilled, I am not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha, I noticed these may need to be chopped and reset if they get much leggier. Dang, it's turning quick!

      Delete
  9. The mushroom is fascinating, as are all your plants--large and small. I'm pretty tolerant of hot days...if I'm in a pool or at a lake or a large body of water for soaking. Anything above 85 (with humidity) is not fun for gardening or working outside. This week we have a couple of days in the mid-80s, and they're not bad (comfort-wise) because the humidity is low. Hang in there--sounds like you're getting some relief...yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty much ok with heat, too. It's the multiple 100° days that zap me. Yes, we are really in a nice weather pattern now!

      Delete
  10. So, so great. I especially love the variegated succulent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your plants are looking sooo good!! Being diligent about covering plants has definitely paid off. I need to be better about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!

Back home