The tough and not so tough...

we've made it through 2 weeks? of mostly triple digit days.  That was brutal and I'm thrilled we're headed into some delightfully cool 90's.  Hahaha, but the nights will get down even into the 50's which makes a huge difference.  I'm thrilled when I can open my bedroom window at night and the mornings are cool enough to make my run not so painful.  I thought I'd share a few shots of plants that thrived in the heat, and others that would rather be someplace cooler.  These beasts in pots next to the back of the house took it in stride, I gave them a drink every other day.  These pots seriously bake.

Close up of Browningia Hertlingiana, I love this cactus.  The blue is growth from this year. The spines get extra dangerous with more sun.  


Ugh.  Ugly, need to do something about this.  
A beautiful seed grown (Sophia & Ivan-my daughter & her bf, both phytophiles) Aloe plicatillis.  I have several of these but I really love the shape of this one.  Probably because it's still singular.
This one hurts, Hakea petiolaris.  Even with an umbrella, not loving the heat.  Maybe it will survive?  If not, this is the second one I've killed.  Troy @ Waltzing Matilija has them in stock - I will try one more, but in the protected slope.  I guess I'm a sucker.  *I did get seed from this one.
Pachypodium lamarei, I am fond of these.  I need to separate this trio into their own pots and quick!
and of course, Yucca rostrata takes everything in stride.  
This San Pedro has gone bonkers in the heat.  He's mutating on top and growing side shoots AND a baby, love.
Yes, all that new growth is from this year!
Not so great, Scleranthus bifilorus.  In an almost full shade situation, not a fan of the sun.
These supposedly tough guys surprised me, sunburn on agaves.  Seriously guys.  

Rain chain succulents holding up nicely, these do get shade so that is a big help.
Liatris took the heat in stride. 
Globe thistle held up pretty well, some burning on the older leaves.  
Tough guys, I would love if my Alluaudia procera would bloom - but it's a keeper nonetheless.
close-up of Alluadudia procera
so cute!
Tough guy or softy?  He's both, but he loves the heat and gets depressed when it rains so I guess he's in the right place 😁.
Who else is going to be at The Fling in Puget Sound?  This is my first Fling and I'm very excited to be going.  Now what to pack?  Hope your weekend is lovely!

Comments

  1. I'm surprised some of the cacti didn't like the heat, although it seems like most of them did well. You've got the right garden for your climate. I hope the cool down keeps cooling down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A stretch of heat like that has got to be brutal, Tracy. I'm counting myself very lucky to have avoided an extended heatwave like that even if the gray mornings get tedious after awhile. I tried growing Scleranthus biflorus once and it almost immediately croaked so I'd say you're doing well there. My agaves get sunburn at times too but they usually grow out of the minor disfigurements. See you at the Fling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gray mornings can be tedious, I agree. I'm looking forward to meeting you at the Fling :)

      Delete
  3. I have globe thistle in my garden. It looks way better in yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it the first year? Mine looked terrible last year and I almost ditched it, so much better this year.

      Delete
  4. My first fling too. Hat, sunblock, water bottle, photo-taking device, (I heard some people say bring extra batteries), and a sense of adventure! Extended temps in the 90s-100s here and one of my agaves burned as well. Tired of watering already, but it is nice to see some plants thriving despite the heat and dry. Your Alluaudia is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Jerry! We are both new then. Water bottle, that I would've forgotten. It was nice not to have to water so much, a nice break. Thank you, I love Alluaudia.

      Delete
  5. Two days I can handle, this was a long stretch. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've bumped into more than one 'weather refugee' from out your way and beyond here in SF this past week. I don't envy you out in triple-digit territory!
    Your plants look no worse for the wear, fortunately. You have some really lovely specimens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bea, 90 felt like a dream yesterday!

      Delete
  7. Brutal heat for people and plants! Glad you have so many plants loving it, looking forward to meeting you at the Fling! (I'll add comfy walking shoes to your packing list, although I did the last Fling in flip flops)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danger garden, danger life! I look forward to meeting you as well :). I do love my flip flops, but I'll try to be more practical.

      Delete
  8. Hi, I am so happy you are going to the Fling. :-) I have not gone to any, but I follow Beth from Wisconsin and see her photos about the adventures of the Fling. FUN!!!

    High Fives to that liatris for hanging in there. What a plant, it survives under the snow here in Wisconsin and our negative temperatures!!! It comes back each year, smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great tough plant, and great color too. Thank you Carla, maybe someday we'll meet at a Fling.

      Delete
  9. A mixed bag, just like in my garden. Still, most of the photos you posted were positive. Agave sunburn and/or edema is always painful because it takes so long for the plant to outgrow the damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I didn't really show all the scorch. But all in all, not so bad. The Hakea was the worst of it.

      Delete
  10. You have many amazingly beautiful plants despite the awful heat. Brava!

    Looking forward to meeting you at the Fling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to meeting you as well, I didn't know if you were going. That's great!

      Delete
  11. A great selection. We've just had a mini heatwave - around 25 degrees c and that was too warm for me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello tz (or do you prefer Tracy?). Late comment cuz I've neglected the blogosphere, glad to be back. Your Pachypodium is so curious (looking) and I had to learn more. Checked Wikipedia: Wow! The genus appears to have quite a fan club, or maybe one very devoted fan! In any case that makes it super interesting. I chuckled when I saw it's in the same family as dogbanes and milkweeds (Apocynaceae). It's amazing how diverse morphology can be in a family ... makes it really easy to trick beginning botanists (thinking back on plant family id tests long ago :))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!

Back home