Back home

I visited Puget Sound with the 2024 Garden Fling for the first 2 days (of 4).  I thought I would post a few of my favorite pictures/moments, as I've not organized all my photos yet.  From Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden.  This blew my mind, not algae but a tiny fern Azolla covering the pond.  I live in such a dry area, this was mindblowingly green.  There was even a little sign warning people not to walk on the water.  

Closeup.
A private garden on Vashon Island.   Oooh, cones.

A sort of natural swimming pond, 7 feet deep on one end.
This may be the most inspiring section I saw.  Not just using rock in the slope, but the addition of wood was so great.
I left early to visit my parents in Portland, I don't see them enough.  They will be 82 in September.  They are doing great, and had added 40 shrubs to their garden just recently! After moving them in and out of their garage all winter to protect them from the awful freeze.

Home to various scorched and messy areas in my own garden that need tending.  The following is a mish mash. Because I had to leave some sprinklers set (106 Tuesday!) while I was away, I have several Tree of Heaven (or hell, really) sprouts coming up in the golden barrel area.  Neighbor's tree, ugh.  


I had an order from ILLAHE that arrived right before I left, I popped them in the shade.  When I went out to check on them, slugs & snails were covering the little plants!  I smashed as many of the little slimeballs as I could find and treated with Sluggo.  I don't think there is any Raoulia australis left in this pot? Thankfully everything else looks ok.

And Troy from Waltizing Matilija had a close out sale on plants that were too large to ship.  I made a quick trip out to Pittsburgh for 4 items.  A back-up Hakea petiolaris,  Brachychiton rupestris, Banksia prionotes and Banksia integrifolia.  The prices were so good, I couldn't pass on the deal - most of them 6' tall!  I have no idea where to put them, but will wait for it to cool down before I plant.

I was thrilled to see the Echinops ritro ruthenicus when I checked on the back, so vivid!


And a favorite from the greenhouse that loves the heat, Stenocereus beneckii looking nice and ghostly.  
The ghostly white powdery coating gets beautifully thick hidden away from direct sun.  Love that. Most of the plants in the greenhouse right now are Ivan's treasures.  I'll ask him to do a post on them.

I need to go pull weeds!  Hope you are feeling fine and your garden is thriving.  ~Tracy

Comments

  1. I took a couple of photos of that pond at the Rhododendron Species Botanic Garden too - it was something and the sign was a laugh (even if I suspect it was placed there for good reason). Sorry to hear of the slug and snail attack. Do you have raccoons? If so, they need to do a better job! It's the only thing they're good for in my garden. I love the Echinops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sign did make me laugh, it wasn't quite THAT carpet like. We do have raccoons and skunks that are slacking on the snacking. Hope you're feeling better!

      Delete
  2. You are truly a high-end gardener.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a huge compliment, but I certainly don't feel that. I so wish I could focus, remember plant names-maybe think about design ? lol, but I love it nonetheless.

      Delete
  3. We missed you, but a visit with Mom and Dad naturally a priority! The Echinops is choice, and you got some awesome plants from Troy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the highlights was meeting you! Yes, it was good to see my folks :)

      Delete
  4. Great photos of very interesting plants!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some beautiful scenes and plants! I'm so sorry I had to miss this year. Thanks for sharing some of the highlights!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh. I don't remember you mentioning Tree of Heaven before, but it sounds like this is not the first time it's invaded, what a nightmare.

    You ordered from Illahe! Good stuff (sorry about the slug/snail damage), I get to visit in person next week and I'm very much looking forward to it.

    So glad you came to part of the Fling, it was great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you are making the trip to Illahe - I'm very jealous of your roadtripping. I wish I had run into you more! And yeah, Tree of Heaven sucks.

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry to hear your neighbor has one of those terrible trees! Sounds like gardening keeps your parents doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank you I feel so grateful my folks are still so active. That dang tree!

      Delete
  8. That echinops fits in beautifully with your cactus & succulents. I so enjoyed meeting you and seeing your friendly face on our bus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise, I enjoyed meeting you as well!

      Delete
  9. Hello, sending a hug... dealing with the heat I am sure can get exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carla, we're in a nice cooling now. At least for a bit ;)

      Delete
  10. Beautiful photos, and the tiny fern Azolla brought a smile. A visit with Mom and Dad and their garden is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think all of us gardeners enjoy looking at something not common where we live and I love seeing plants from other points of view. Maybe one reason why this New York State blogger enjoys your garden. Except for the Tree of (not) Heaven. They are becoming more and more common here each year. My sympathies. And kudos to your parents I couldn't handle 40 more plants and I'm only in my low 70's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alana, I fully agree with you - thrilling to see things I couldn't grow. And tempts me to test my zone. lol

      Delete
  12. I can see why they'd need a sign warning people not to walk on the water! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was a very different gardening region for me to enjoy as well, coming from sun-baked Texas. I enjoyed your take on the Fling and hope to see you in Memphis next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam, it was lovely to meet you! You were as warm and charming as everyone said you would be.

      Delete
  14. Un giardino di cactus e stagni è il massimo, si può mettere davvero di tutto in un posto come quello!
    Grazie per le immagini!

    Un saluto e una buona estate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the best of both worlds!
      sì, il meglio di entrambi i mondi

      Delete
  15. I am so glad you are okay! I was surprised I didn't see you Lakewold that evening and didn't have a good way to get in contact with you. Thank you for being a most excellent bus buddy that first day. I had so much fun and it was super to finally meet you. I am finally back after 2 weekends away, knocked out with covid, and not able to get out into the garden to water after some more hot and dry temps. I'm sure I will have some of my own plant deaths to commiserate about soon, but in the meantime it's nice to revisit our Fling memories in between naps! I need to retry Echinops for some heat and drought color and that Stenocereus is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Noooooo! I hope you're feeling better, and getting lots of naps. I left again for a week, I've just returned and have so much to do.

      Delete
  16. It's hard to come back to inland Norcal (especially in late July) from a PNW trip.That first photo is beautiful and really displays the the environment up yonder. It was great to meet you and I hope our paths will cross again .

    ReplyDelete
  17. PS, I'm going to try growing Echinops ritro from seed next year-Johnnys has them. All of mine came from UC Davis Arb plant sale or Digging Dog. It's worth a try !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!