Moving tenders indoors and the Great Plant Haul of 2023! As I mentioned, Ivan & Sophia did some shopping for me at the Waltzing Matilija blowout sale.  I was leaving for vacation the first day of the sale, and Ivan wanted to be there the first day- so I said get me any big aloes you find that can stand a freeze.  Did they deliver!  Thank you to Gerhard from Succulents and More for the heads up on this place.  Troy from WM is going to focus on online sales in the future, so he was getting rid of large plants that wouldn't make sense to ship.  Off to Berkeley to pick up the treasures!  Sophia walked me out on their nice patio to show me what they picked up.

Ivan did the heavy lifting, some of these pots WERE HUGE!
My car was completely filled.  I don't think I could've fit one more thing!  Which was good, because it was packed so tight nothing fell over or broke.
Taller plants we laid down.  And unpotted a few aloes to save room.
Everything made it home safe.  
Below is Aloe acuelata - it was labeled melancantha but we think probably acuelata.



Full plant list:
Aloe mutabilis x2 (in bloom)
Aloe aculeata
Aloe mystery (from Annie's Annuals, he wasn't sure what they were) x3 -they look feroxy?
Aloe munchii
Banksia speciosa about 5.5'
Thysarotus multiflorus x2 fringe lily 
Xanthorrhoea quadrangulata x2
Dilatris pillansii x2. (i'm super excited about these!). 
Verticordia plumosa -pink lace
Acacia podalyrifolia (this is so gorgeous, I didn't know I needed it)
Eremophila maculata 'Diablo valley'
Hakea cinerea
Hakea petiolaris about 5' (I have one I bought from him in the spring that is about a foot tall, lol.  
Hakea laurina 8'
Hakea brownii. super cool leaves

Honestly, they did a better job picking out different things than I would have. I'm still buzzy with excitement.  Ivan had to drive back 3 times to get all these plants in his car, which is above and beyond wonderful.  *And kept buying more things each time he went, hahaha.

Other news, I've moved tender orchids and air plants off the porch - we've gotten as low as 42, and we should stay above 40 at night for weeks but I don't want to risk it.  The downstairs shower isn't occupied very often, so I thought I'd make watering easy on myself.



Now, the real question is -where will I put all these new plants?  I'm going to move some smaller plants out of the slope into pots.  And just supersize with these new beauties.  The Hakea's and Banksia need to go in the slope, I've found they like the soil there better than any other places I've tried.  

~Hope your week is going great, are you doing the cooking for Thanksgiving?  Or getting to enjoy at someone else's house?

~Tracy

Comments

  1. Now a lot of people talk about their plant shopping hauls but yours is on a whole other level! You're going to be very busy for awhile but I look forward to seeing them planted and watching them develop. I've been debating a purchase of a Hakea laurina off and on for years (even on my recent trip to Seaside Gardens) and I've yet to bring one home - in contrast, you may have a Hakea forest one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was truly lucky timing - he was practically giving these large plants away. Everything was so marked down. I've never purchased this amount of large specimens. The prices were too good to walk away from. Now I've got a good amount of decisions to make. I'd like to get things planted before the rains come this weekend. Hopefully I'll have seeds to share!

      Delete
  2. WOW... THAT is a PLANT HAUL! I am amazed, and a little jealous too. Actually I'm jealous of your shower set up as well. Our basement has a concrete floor so I am less than careful when I water all the plants indoors for the winter, but to have them in a shower stall would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your basement set-up is pretty sweet, and so spacious. The shower is handy, I don't think the light is perfect but we'll see.

      Delete
  3. Huge aloe. Most of your plant names are totally unfamiliar to me, which is fine; an educational post. That is some shower setup, too. It's good to have lilting help; with my back (and our steep stairs to our second floor) I have to depend on my son, who works long hours and helps an elderly person he knows, so we are almost done with overwintering large plants indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your son sounds like a fantastic helper to you and others! I am not good at asking for help, and it is so incredible to have Ivan swoop in and just do the heavy lifting. I'm very grateful.

      Delete
  4. I was only able to utilize the shower as 2 of our 3 kids are away at college. When everyone is here for the holidays, I think we will either be moving those around temporarily OR everyone is using the same bathroom upstairs! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is indeed a spectacular haul!! You had two great shoppers there. Congratulations, enjoy, and update us on how they do for you. Those two branches with tillys on them look like they are taking a shower.

    Oh, and have fun planting your new treasures! --hb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have just about finished getting everything in the ground. hahaha, yes I think I did shower them right before the picture.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!