Garden chores in May, with cool mid 70's weather.  Ahhhh!  I've begun grabbing the smaller pieces of rubble from the slope (that I added in 2022) and am slowly rubbling around the beds.  I had more rocks than I really needed for the slope, but threw them in and knew I would pluck them out when needed elsewhere.  Threw in some crassula muscosa in the gaps, and some various sedum on top hoping they will spill over as the summer moves in.  More likely next year they'll achieve the pretty waterfall look.


Not horribly impressive, I know - but as I go round and round the beds I think it will add a pretty crevice affect.  And a good use for a chopstick & cuttings where I find small planting spots.

The salvia has bloomed through the Aloe plicatilis, I think they like eachother.
Aloe distans, the spiky snake has found a spot in the mammillaria area above the puddle rock.  I'd like to find a colorful garden snake (art) to perch on the other side.  The Talavera ones are too $$$, I can be a cheapskate.  
The Banksia blechnifolia also found a nice spot that is raised, so hopefully has enough drainage to keep it happy.  I like how the metal hawk is peering through.  I mixed in a bit of granular sulfur with the Banksia as well as the Protea and Hakea I've planted.  Per helpful tip via Troy from Waltzing Matilija.  I had some on hand that I add to the blueberries to keep them happy.
The color on this Dudleya caespitosa is so lovely, much better than the one I have in the slope.  More sun = more purple & more powdery leaves.  
A few blooms to share... 
We're getting close to full explosion on the rainbow hedgehog!  
And one of my favorite poppies from the front perennial garden, Sugar Plum.  So much fluff!
I puttered around outside most of the afternoon, lots to do but nothing too taxing - a nice Friday for sure.  Today, Sophia & Ivan want to show me Berkeley Horticulture Nursery  Have a lovely weekend!


Comments

  1. I've done much the same thing over the years, relocating rock dumped in one spot to another. However, in my case, I've concluded that I still need more rock ;) Creating a succulent garden requires a good eye and lots of patience - and I think you've got that! Enjoy your nursery trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, NEVER enough rocks. Thank you so much, the nursery was large and one of the best I've seen. So many plants.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I do think it's horribly impressive! I love the idea of a succulent garden, and I actually have potted succulents in the sunroom. Love them! One of the bennies of your climate and conditions is that this type of garden thrives there. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth, that is so nice. I will continue the rocks around the edge, I do like it. A sunroom! How wonderful.

      Delete
  3. it looks incredible! Wow that sugar plum bloom is gorgeous! I can't wait to help position those rocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And more sugar plums are open today, I managed to get the rocks we picked up yesterday in the back. See you tomorrow :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!