Bereft Berzelia

 Ah, here she was in April of this year.  Little round creamy puffball blooms, pine needle like foliage.

As you've read, in June we purchased the home behind us.  Things got busy, trees were removed, fences were taken down.  This area (a bed near the back corner of our back garden) that was dappled shade was suddenly full sun. In April, that's a-o.k. 
Come July... yeowch. Sun burned and then some. Photo taken from the backside of the bed.  

The piles of golden barrels are all fine, they seem to prefer to have zero link to the ground. They will be moved up top to the new garden in the next few months. 

The good news, I have a 2nd Berzelia planted in the front garden.  Full sun and that one is fine.  

I've been meaning to rework this small bed and finally got around to it yesterday. I had a silver Hechtia NOID in wait from my trip to San Diego.  And thought how nice it would be in the middle of the black lava rock bed. 

Trimmed the Leucophyta brownii, that puffy silver thing.  Added some good cactus mix, and a couple small boulders.  Along with the Hechtia, right below it I planted the Tanacetum densum amani that Ivan found at Flowerland. 
Everything else was already there or poached from elsewhere in the garden.  Not true, also added the Agave cerulata 'Goyo's Ghost'. Hard to see it in the broader photo, but I snuck in a little Raoulia australis, scabwort.  A groundcover I've had mixed results with.  If it likes the spot, it takes zero maintenance.  I'll walk by softly and keep my voice down until it takes. 

 

The whole picture.  *Do you see that Banksia cone way up high, to the left? Hee hee, there are about 9 cones in different stages right now! 

And from one bed away.   A little repetition of silver from the Cleistocactus straussii.
This time of year is great for planting.  It's cooled off to the 80's.  No rain, but it feels like 2nd spring.
Doctor 💛
Note to myself:  Order more of these gomphrena seeds.  They were late to bloom (I probably started the seeds too late). I love them here & there in the front garden. They feel right at home. 
My extent of Fall decorating is a few pumpkins near the front door.  

Do you decorate for Halloween?   I'm ready for that bowl of Halloween candy 😀

Comments

  1. I'm not planning to decorate for Halloween. Things are coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My old ‘hood in L.A., Windsor Square/Hancock Park, was (still is) completely nuts for Halloween. Kids would get bused in to a church parking lot off of Melrose Ave. I remember once having to beeline to the market for more candy. We had over 1,000 treat or treaters. Here? Through 15 Halloweens, I’ve seen maybe 5 kids, all too old to trick or treat. But “just in case” gotta make sure you have plenty of your favorite candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is A LOT of trick or treaters! We get a good amount here, but not even close to that.

      Delete
  3. No doubt these plants periodically discuss with each other how lucky they are to have you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is a really nice thing to say. Some plants more than others, lol.

      Delete
  4. Pumpkins already and more than one. I'm impressed. We probably won't bother with pots of mums this year because the summer pots that we have will probably hang on for quite a while. They usually survive the first light frosts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mums never seem to last long for me, I must be doing something wrong. The summer pots - even better!

      Delete
  5. Du stellst mit der Berzelia wieder eine interessante, mir bisher unbekannte Pflanze vor. Ich lerne jedes Mal, wenn ich bei dir lese, etwas über die Vegetation in deiner Klimazone dazu. Vielen Dank für den interessanten Bericht.
    Wenn ich in Deutschland bin, dekoriere ich für Halloween. Mit Kürbis und allem was dazu gehört. Für meine Familie gibt es ein großes, gruseliges Halloween-Essen mit Verkleidung. Das ist aber nicht überall in Deutschland üblich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ein gruseliges Halloween-Essen! Das klingt einfach herrlich – und dann noch mit Kostümen. Das finde ich toll! :)

      Delete
  6. What an amazing garden. I enjoy your tours.
    We had a tree trunk taken down, and the garden has changed! Going to have fun next spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Doctor, it is good to see you basking in the sun.
    Always enjoy your tours, your garden amazes me, so different from Wisco.
    What is your favorite candy in the Halloween candy bowl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's such a good buddy, follows me around like a little dog. I think my favorite candy changes - I like those dark chocolate almond butter cups from unreal. The coconut bars are good too. For every day grocery store candy, milky way?

      Delete
  8. thank goodness for the berzelia in the front garden, which looks amazing btw. Your back garden berzelia reminds me of the last time I tried to grow it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I'm down to one, I feel the need for a back-up.

      Delete
  9. NOoooo not the Berzelia! Ugh. So sad. Glad you have another that's doing well. I've tried Raoulia australis a few times, it took the last patch a couple years to die but it finally did. It's such a great plant, hoping this one takes for you. Halloween... other than the ghost doormat (I think you saw that on Instagram?) there are no Halloween or autumn decorations around here until October. I refuse to concede summer until then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea when I first bought that Berzelia how much I'd fall in love with it. I've got one patch of that Raoulia australis that has slowly and perfectly creeped - I don't dare touch it. I love your doormat, I wouldn't have been able to resist. I'm with you, it's SUMMER!

      Delete
  10. Oooh I love the hechtia in its new home! Great rocks. Rocks make all the difference, don't they?

    Where did you get your Raoulia? I've never seen one for sale (I can barely type the name).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if I'm struggling with an area -rocks are always the answer. I found that nice established Raoulia at Berkeley Hort Nursery. I should have some I started from seed ready soon tho - I'm happy to share!

      Delete
  11. Automatic Garden here. Your plants are so unusual. I don't decorate for Halloween; my children are all grown, and where we live, no one comes for candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's fun to see the differences. Yeah it's different when the kids are small.

      Delete
  12. I love the contrast of colors and textures in your garden and the Berzelia is such an interesting plant, so I am glad your second one is doing well. The Agave cerulata 'Goyo's Ghost' is a winner as well with its outstanding color along with the surrounding rocks. You do have a special talent for combining succulents with hardscape and it is fun seeing what you are up to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for the Goyo's Ghost to grow so I can see what it will be. Thank you Lee :)

      Delete
  13. Oh no! That's sad about the berzelia. Beautiful plant. I'm glad you've got another one. I've never had luck with Raoulia - my garden eats those for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tracy, what an amazing garden. I love how you state 'the puffy thing' as a guide. There are so many names to remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some can remember every name it seems, I really struggle. Thank you Jenn :)

      Delete
  15. Another great post I missed until now!!! I should try growing that Gomphrena from seed too. I love the photo of the happy Doctor too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy