Bereft Berzelia

 Ah, here she was in April of this year.  Little round creamy puffball blooms, pine needle like foliage.

As you've read, in June we purchased the home behind us.  Things got busy, trees were removed, fences were taken down.  This area (a bed near the back corner of our back garden) that was dappled shade was suddenly full sun. In April, that's a-o.k. 
Come July... yeowch. Sun burned and then some. Photo taken from the backside of the bed.  

The piles of golden barrels are all fine, they seem to prefer to have zero link to the ground. They will be moved up top to the new garden in the next few months. 

The good news, I have a 2nd Berzelia planted in the front garden.  Full sun and that one is fine.  

I've been meaning to rework this small bed and finally got around to it yesterday. I had a silver Hechtia NOID in wait from my trip to San Diego.  And thought how nice it would be in the middle of the black lava rock bed. 

Trimmed the Leucophyta brownii, that puffy silver thing.  Added some good cactus mix, and a couple small boulders.  Along with the Hechtia, right below it I planted the Tanacetum densum amani that Ivan found at Flowerland. 
Everything else was already there or poached from elsewhere in the garden.  Not true, also added the Agave cerulata 'Goyo's Ghost'. Hard to see it in the broader photo, but I snuck in a little Raoulia australis, scabwort.  A groundcover I've had mixed results with.  If it likes the spot, it takes zero maintenance.  I'll walk by softly and keep my voice down until it takes. 

 

The whole picture.  *Do you see that Banksia cone way up high, to the left? Hee hee, there are about 9 cones in different stages right now! 

And from one bed away.   A little repetition of silver from the Cleistocactus straussii.
This time of year is great for planting.  It's cooled off to the 80's.  No rain, but it feels like 2nd spring.
Doctor 💛
Note to myself:  Order more of these gomphrena seeds.  They were late to bloom (I probably started the seeds too late). I love them here & there in the front garden. They feel right at home. 
My extent of Fall decorating is a few pumpkins near the front door.  

Do you decorate for Halloween?   I'm ready for that bowl of Halloween candy 😀

Comments

  1. I'm not planning to decorate for Halloween. Things are coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My old ‘hood in L.A., Windsor Square/Hancock Park, was (still is) completely nuts for Halloween. Kids would get bused in to a church parking lot off of Melrose Ave. I remember once having to beeline to the market for more candy. We had over 1,000 treat or treaters. Here? Through 15 Halloweens, I’ve seen maybe 5 kids, all too old to trick or treat. But “just in case” gotta make sure you have plenty of your favorite candy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No doubt these plants periodically discuss with each other how lucky they are to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pumpkins already and more than one. I'm impressed. We probably won't bother with pots of mums this year because the summer pots that we have will probably hang on for quite a while. They usually survive the first light frosts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy