Visiting Loree of danger garden

As I mentioned, while I was in Portland I visited Loree Bohl.  Friend, gardener & blogger extraordinaire also author of the fantastic book Fearless Gardening! *This is photo heavy, I couldn't stop. 


Is there a word for visiting a place you've seen so many photos of, it feels familiar even though you've never stepped foot on the actual ground?   

Still, seeing it with my own eyes was a different experience. There was the touching the sky Tetrapanax!

The foliage is fabulous, I may have changed my mind about planting one on the spot. 
There were agaves, of course.  
But the whole garden -all together, the layers of texture, color and HEIGHT were more than the sum of their parts. 
Yucca rostrata, her favorites were repeated.  But not one plant over powers the next.  Like a great band. 
We went round the side of the house and by her parking spot, late morning so it was full sun. Unfortunately, my photos here are blasted.  
What a nice nest to land in when you arrive home!
Perfect strawberry & basil. oh, and A.V.R.

A carnivorous choir. La la laaaaaa.
Then we entered the back garden.  I'll admit, I got tears in my eyes when I entered.  It's the real deal.  Garden obsession brought to life.  Just try that, AI.  No freaking way!  Impossible to capture how big this feels, again the layer upon layer reaching the greatest of heights. I need that in my own garden.

Fergalicious... no FERNALICIOUS. 
jeez. 
Everything is so well thought out and placed to perfection.  I bet she is out here with a magnifying glass getting everything "just right".
Masterful solo plantings


Her own stumpery

I don't remember rhododendron - look at the shape of those leaves. 

Upcycling cool stuff she has found. 

Pyrrosia and friends

Behind the pavillion, she's filled the fence with treasures galore.

Tucked in the back corner, they feel like secret portals.

the foot.. boldly going where no plant has gone before

yes, please

The whole garden is a joy-fest!
Ah, what a complete pleasure it was to spend time here.  Thank you Loree, you were so welcoming and FUN.  The inspiration and encouragement I've gotten from you, I'm endlessly grateful for 💚💚💚


Now, I'm off to move Olivia down to San Diego.  On my way home, I'll have an empty car with boxes.  Hmmmm, what trouble can I get into? 


Comments

  1. Amazing!! It is beautiful.
    I love all the upcycling!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something to aspire to. Not that your garden is anything to sneeze at. Seeing what else can be done does give one ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a different climate, but it's one of a kind!

      Delete
  3. I envy your in person visit, Tracy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could check out my local -Sierra Azul in Watsonville- doesn't get nearly enough love from the plant nerds. Easy off the 1 if you're hitting up UCSC also...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this but especially the last photo, that pulled-back shot of Cliffiord (the magnolia) really showing how he fits in the garden with his mighty shade-casting branches. I agree, we do need a word for visiting IRL a place familiar only from photos or words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get how substantial Clifford was in the garden, amazing to be there in real life.

      Delete
  6. Ah, your photos are fabulous, thank you for this collection of flattering images and kind words! You definitely captured the spirit of the garden. I had so much fun hanging out with you, you're welcome any time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know nothing about garden layout etc., but sure do like that fern area!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know that "familiar even though you've never stepped foot" feeling.
    Plants come and go from that iconic front door bed but the blue agaves are a constant. They graced the pages of the Seattle Times newspaper more than once and that Déjà vu feeling comes over me whenever I see it.
    Photos 13 and 14 have excellent view of everything that's growing by the steps along the concrete wall; a drool worthy display if I ever saw one. By the way, the round leaf Rhododendron is R. williamsianum. I've killed two already...
    Everything in and around the shade pavilion is an amazing artistic expression, an endless source of inspiration and delight for me. Like you called it: a joy-fest.
    I hope San Diego is good to you; have a fabulous trip home.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the third photo from the end: did you catch the name of that chartreuse, backlit, hanging fern?
      Chavli (again)

      Delete
    2. lol @ I've killed 2 already, you have to try a 3rd. Thank you for the well wishes, I'm home again. I'm sure she said the name, but I don't remember? I was texting myself names here and there and they were spellchecked into mush.

      Delete
    3. Chavli...if I've counted the photos correctly then you're asking about a Drynaria (Aglaomorpha) coronans, aka basket fern. It naturally grows as an epiphyte around tree trunks. I wish I could grow it that way but it's not hardy here.

      Delete
  9. Che bella visita! Seguo il suo blog da un po' di tempo! Anche li vedo piante incredibili che qui non posso usare ma che vorrei! D'altronde è sempre così.

    Un caro saluto.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you got to visit Loree. No matter how often I visit, and how many photos I see, I always discover something new. Your photos really capture the magic.

    You're so right about the height element! The danger garden is so three-dimensional.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy