Visiting Loree of danger garden
As I mentioned, while I was in Portland I visited Loree Bohl. Friend, gardener & blogger extraordinaire also author of the fantastic book Fearless Gardening! *This is photo heavy, I couldn't stop.
Is there a word for visiting a place you've seen so many photos of, it feels familiar even though you've never stepped foot on the actual ground?
Still, seeing it with my own eyes was a different experience. There was the touching the sky Tetrapanax!
The foliage is fabulous, I may have changed my mind about planting one on the spot.
There were agaves, of course. But the whole garden -all together, the layers of texture, color and HEIGHT were more than the sum of their parts. Yucca rostrata, her favorites were repeated. But not one plant over powers the next. Like a great band.
We went round the side of the house and by her parking spot, late morning so it was full sun. Unfortunately, my photos here are blasted.
What a nice nest to land in when you arrive home!
Perfect strawberry & basil. oh, and A.V.R.
A carnivorous choir. La la laaaaaa.
Then we entered the back garden. I'll admit, I got tears in my eyes when I entered. It's the real deal. Garden obsession brought to life. Just try that, AI. No freaking way! Impossible to capture how big this feels, again the layer upon layer reaching the greatest of heights. I need that in my own garden.
Everything is so well thought out and placed to perfection. I bet she is out here with a magnifying glass getting everything "just right".
Masterful solo plantings
Her own stumpery
I don't remember rhododendron - look at the shape of those leaves.
Upcycling cool stuff she has found.
Pyrrosia and friends
Behind the pavillion, she's filled the fence with treasures galore.
yes, please
Ah, what a complete pleasure it was to spend time here. Thank you Loree, you were so welcoming and FUN. The inspiration and encouragement I've gotten from you, I'm endlessly grateful for 💚💚💚Now, I'm off to move Olivia down to San Diego. On my way home, I'll have an empty car with boxes. Hmmmm, what trouble can I get into?
Amazing!! It is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI love all the upcycling!!