Cont'd Acquisitions
Good Morning! I thought I'd post my plant haul as stated in the last post. I typically forget such promises. First up, Dry Oasis Plants in Half Moon Bay. He ships, fast & well. But with the new area I've got to play with, I couldn't resist making the hour+ trip to nab some larger specimens.
Aloes in order form order---thraskii, vaombe (open cross), salm-dyckiana, pretoriensis (open cross), labworana, carpenteria gem & bussei
Aloe tongaensis 'Medusa' 7g. from San Marcos. Medium tree aloe to about 10' with orange blooms. The leaves stress a little orangey which I 💚.
Aloe ferox-something. I like the stacking leaves, and the upright growth makes me think it was crossed with another tree aloe? Time will tell.
Variegated stuff is not my usual deal, nor is aloe arborescens. But I have a spot in front of the black fence and behind columnar cactus so I made an exception. This var. Aloe arborescens may fit the bill. Also, I shouldn't be so judgey or frumpy I can't change my mind and give things a chance.
Last but not least, Aloe barbarae. A classic and I can't believe I don't have one. Can grow to 30' which makes me giggle.
On to my trip to San Diego, not a ton of things. From Solana Succulents. I SHOULD HAVE DUG AROUND MORE! Ferocactus pringlei, mammillaria plumosa & cereus forbesii, spiral. The spiral is a super chonky variety.Agave stricta x3, agave celsii multicolor, ferocactus horridus.
Right: aloe nobilis, aloe allosaurus, echeveria 'cream puff'
Right: aloe nobilis, aloe allosaurus, echeveria 'cream puff'
Left: aloe dorotheae 'forever sunset', aloe 'Crosbys prolific', kalanchoe longiflora 'inferno'
Some goof balls.
Yucca filifera. To the right a peek of Cleistocactus hylacanthus 'rocket torch' - promises blooms for most of the year. *Cleisto is from Waterwise.
Oreocereus celsianus, 'Old Man of the Andes'. I have a few of these, but I needed a co-pilot. He immediately stuck a thorn into the dash, like putting out a cigarette.
Just the attitude I needed for that horrendous drive home.
From Waterwise BotanicalsHechtia with no label, considerably more silver than my argentea with zero burgundy and strappier leaves? I'm hoping someone knows, and I bet it will be Gerhard or David.
This is my favorite purchase of the trip. It's stunning.
The good news is I stayed under budget for the whole shebang. And have put a dent in acquiring plants for the new space.
And because I was so high on silver, I nabbed a Cotyledon 'passionheart' and a mangave with no label.
The good news is I stayed under budget for the whole shebang. And have put a dent in acquiring plants for the new space.
In Dirtbag Garden news, I'm making friends by giving away loads of zuchinni & japanese eggplant almost daily. And enjoying picking veg for dinner with no worry of parasites.
The sunflowers are a bonus.
This almost white cream colored one is a new favorite, with myself & the bees.
I love the teddy bear... I grew some a few years ago. No sunflowers for me this year.
ReplyDeleteSo I am enjoying yours.
The 2" ers for $3.00 .... score! :-)