Delirious

 I want to start off with a pretty photo this time.  Colocasia 'coffee cups', I purchased a small tuber in the spring.  All the pictures I see online, the leaves are much larger. I'm not sure if it's just young or stilted in the smaller pot?  Whatever, I love the coloring and "cup" that holds a drop of water. 

Anyway, my real news is I pretty much finished cleaning the top garden.  Digging and ripping out Bermuda grass, and it was 100° each and every day. The sweating! The excessive hydrating!  The suffering!

Here's where I left off before the weekend trip to San Diego.  

Yesterday, Thursday at 4:30 pm.  I'll admit my removal of the devil grass wasn't as thorough as the days drug on.  I REALLY want to plant this area NOW.  Stomp! 
But I realized, I need to deal with this grass first.  Not 100% eradicate, but let's seriously feel good about it not cropping up everywhere.  What a nightmare that would be - growing in agaves and cactus.  I've had good luck before with suffocating weeds/grass with black plastic.  Although along the edge will likely require the dig & remove method.  

Walking down the sidewalk, to the fence.  If you peer over the half painted white fence, our house is behind that.  I couldn't fit all the debris in the 2 bins - that will take a few weeks. 
I kept finding more melons, pumpkin and kabocha squash as I was removing vines, spent sunflowers, etc. *That cantaloupe and watermelon were DELICIOUS!  
And tomatoes, poblano pepper and what is that?  Turns it out it was the tiniest honeydew type melon.  
Whew, my arms and hands are really sore.  But, I have 5 days of drinking pina coladas at the swim up bar in Cabo San Lucas to look forward to! And some fun night life.  

A few parting shots, I do love how the sun hits different in the fall. Front walk.

From the driveway.  A couple scorched plants need replacing.
Back, zippery Banksia nivea catches my eye -next to the steps in the back slope.  Leading up to the "other" house.
My Hakea trees haven't begun their bloom yet, but the leaves are gorgeous backlit.  Hakea petiolaris.

I fly out tomorrow. I'm happy to consume your favorite cocktail or beverage in your honor, just leave it in the comments! 😀



Comments

  1. Wow, the melons. You did amazing!!!
    Have fun on your trip.
    Cannot wait to hear all about it.
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy