In my last post, I was complaining about the look of the old (new) house as a backdrop to my garden. We all have our favorite colors, and while gray is fine this particular shade of gray is not at the top of my list.
It didn't take much encouragement. A few of you left comments "do it" that was all I needed to jump in the car to the corner Lowe's to buy some exterior paint. That silver thing contains the hot water heater, I can't deal with that so it stays. First, I had to move the pile of fencing so I could fit the ladder where I needed it.
This is a real lipstick on a pig situation. Temporary visual fix. THIS is the condition of the siding, and I AM JUST SLAPPING PAINT ON, right over the top. Without a care in the world! This probably would make some people cringe, I get it. BUT the house will eventually be torn down, so who cares?
I am afraid of heights, and was hanging on for dear life when I had to paint the top rows. So I decided not to do the top trim. It was just too high on the ladder. I chickened out.
The Leucadendron argenteum was SMILING with glee at having a better background color!
The color is Dark Knight from the "Earthy Charm" Sherwin Williams collection.End of day 2, I feel really good about the choice.
Although I wish I wasn't such a chickenshit and would do the top strip. Overall, the house took a step back (in photos) which is really what I was hoping for.
Walking the concrete path that runs closer to our actual home, starting at the west end (fire lane).
a few more steps, about middle. That house has practically disappeared behind the Palo Verde tree.

A few more steps toward our patio area.
And lastly, a wide shot. The effort was worth it to me. Even though, close up - that siding looks baaaaad.
I need to finish painting the back porch area, which isn't as tall or very big. But I needed a break from painting, so I took some dirtbag garden produce to Sophia & Ivan in Berkeley. The sweet corn is ready for picking.
I ran in to use their bathroom, what in the world is that?
She is, Elizabeth Ann 'Buckleberry' orchid. *With my excellent retention for names, I remembered it as 'Lady Von Bumbleberry'. What a looker!
I have to get them to do a post on their wild collection! They are busy people so I'll be patient.
And Ivan passed on some plant gifts. A fern, CA native I believe from his nice friend at UC Botanical Garden @ Berkley.
And this cool thistle that is as grabby as a Hechtia.
They also wanted a break, so we took a quick trip to Flowerland -20% off this weekend. But first, lunch at Korean Superette. Delicious, and lovely outside seating.
I brought home just a couple of things, look at the incredible texture of this Partridge feather, Tanacetum densum amani. Ivan found it, didn't I JUST say gray was my favorite? Jk, this is obviously silver.
Happy Labor Day! We are getting HOT HOT HOT this week 3 days @ 100°. We've had such a mild summer, what I think of as Santa Barbara weather. I hope it does't hurt too much.
The colour certainly does the (receding) trick. Well done.
ReplyDeleteThank you- I think so, too!
DeleteSo good that you did most of the painting before the heat dump. The black looks a million times better and will serve its purpose till it all comes down next year.
ReplyDeleteWith respect to "Elizabeth Ann", 'Lady Von Bumbleberry' is better name :-D That's one fabulous orchid!
Tanacetum densum amani looks more crochet than a real plant. Very cool.
Chavli
Lady Von Bumbleberry is just fun to say! Now I can only think of the Tanacetum as crocheted. Isn't that texture great?
DeleteI can appreciate your "need" (however fleeting it is) to take that dingy gray out of the picture visually. Is 'Dark Knight' a very dark blue or actually black? I couldn't decide.
ReplyDeleteGood eye, Kris. It is very dark blue-black. It looks black most of the day, in the morning light you can catch a little of the blue.
DeleteThat second image of the ladder alone triggers my vertigo.
ReplyDeleteand it's even worse in person! Ah!
DeleteI wouldn't have gotten up on that ladder, either. I'm paranoid of ladders, and I can't do more than a rung or two before I nope out. I'm sure the trim is fine for what you needed to do.
ReplyDeleteI ended up putting the roller on a stick, even then I had to get on the ladder for the higher rows. I'm so glad to be done with the "high" side.
DeleteTracy, you do so well painting. It really does look better. Worth it, for sure.
ReplyDeleteI am in awe of your garden. And that bathroom foliage!
Thank you Jenn, :).
DeleteHell ya! Nice work. That's a great fern gift from Ivan, and yes! I look forward to a tour of Ivan and Sophia's plants.
ReplyDeleteYes please, a tour of Ivan and Sophia's!! :-)
ReplyDeleteWe had a HOT week last week for Wisconsin and the humidity was wild, making my natural curly hair a wild mess. Ha!