I'm back from San Diego. Whew - Olivia is moved in to her new apartment near SDSU. It was wonderful to spend the trip down with her. On the way home I made a few stops. Thank you to Gerhard @ Succulentsandmore for nursery recommendations. I thought I'd share a few photos I took that day.
First stop was Solana Succulents, beautiful nursery on a beautiful street! A specialty nursery in Solana Beach owned by Jeff Moore. He's the co-author of some pretty cool books (with Jeremy Spath of Hidden Agave. I met Jeff, who was so gracious and friendly. He shared that our very own Gerhard proofread said books! I had no idea. Jeff had a Farallon Gardens sweatshirt hanging on the back of his chair, small world!

My biggest mistake the whole trip was not buying more here. I'll admit to still being a bit emotional after saying goodbye to Olivia. And not knowing what the drive ahead of me entailed. I was frazzled, not my usual self - it definitely affected my choices. No worry, I'll be back.
Everything so perfect and well kept. Ah, gorgeous!
A very cool Alluadia, he said he's have cuttings soon. There was an Alluadia montagnacii near the front desk that I would have purchased - it was already sold 😫. *I found some cuttings on ebay.
The entire day I was stressed about time, and hitting LA traffic. I needn't have worried so much. The next day, Friday when I traveled home - that's when traffic turned to complete nightmare.
On to Oasis Water Efficient Gardens in Escondido. This place was massive.
There were rows of hoophouse greenhouse structures going on as far as the eye could see.
It was HOT, I'm used to hot but it was also quite humid which I am not used to.
I quickly texted Gerhard some photos of agaves, but they were things he already has.
The prices were good and I'd definitely visit again. But I didn't find things that were unusual. Could be the time of year. I liked this simple mammillaria planting bed with rusty camel.
Fun side note. I don't know if you've seen or heard of
Laura Eubanks, Design for Serenity she has loads of video on Youtube. Considerable dry garden makeovers in the San Diego area. Her daughter Hannah was shopping at Oasis when I was there.
Off to my next stop,
Desert Theatre in Escondido. I had set up an appointment with Brandon Bullard a few days prior. He said look around and give me a call when you're done. I was left to roam all on my own. Thankfully the location was higher up and a little breeze was blowing.
Most of the plants were BIG.
When did he start growing this stuff? Ha ha ha, I couldn't have lifted this if I had to. 14' high I'm guessing, and pretty much growing in ground. Several of his large Aloe ferox were blooming, strange time of year?
Super cool, felt like on top of the world up there! Pachypodium lamarei blooming.
Again, when was this potted? Ha ha, the pot has almost disappeared into the ground.
I put a few things aside, but generally to move these specimens I would need a truck and Ivan to help. I gave Brandon a jingle. He pulled up in his golf cart and asked if I had a minute to go to the "other side" of street to see the rest of the property. Traffic be damned, I wanted to see it. Of course I do, and off we went. Somehow I captured his face in the mirror.

I tried to snap photos as we were rolling along. He said he planted things in grids when he got started. And where plants
get dug up and sold, he replants.
He said some "rich guys" had recently found him and have been sourcing choice plants. Good for him! One story was about someone with the initials JB, his corporation rhymes with "Hamazon". Buying some spectacularly huge dragon trees. Anyway, Brandon is a super friendly character. I'd love to go back.
And just a couple from the last stop,
Waterwise Botanicals. I'm not sure if I was feeling more relaxed, but I felt at home here. A huge place for sure, but laid out in a way that made sense. They were growing up the hill on one side of the property.
Not certain, but I think this mound is a Laura Eubanks creation. Nice!
Huge Plumeria blooming!
Lots of agaves, I walked to the very end of the bedding rows.
The prices were good, but for the most part I didn't see many things I wanted to add that I don't have (that I can grow here). Still, would visit again.
I checked in to my hotel in Irvine. I made sure it had covered parking so my plants didn't fry. Walk in to my room, and the bathroom door is LOCKED. Weird. I immediately went back down to the check-in desk. I was upgraded to a suite, hilarious for one person. I need 2 tv's so I can rush from room to room! The check in ladies were a little horrified about the bathroom. I figured the cleaning crew has mistakenly locked it - not that a person was hiding in there!
The ride home was horrible. What should've been a 5.5 hour drive turned in to almost 9 hours! There was a big rig fire or rollover that closed I5 for hours. Another fun thing, one of the pots was loaded with ants. The ants were popping up on my leg, arm and even walking across the steering wheel during the ride. I stopped once for gas and made it home.
Dry gardening is a whole other world.
ReplyDeleteIt is, so exotic to my eyes. Even tho I've been here almost 18 years now.
DeleteIt must have been a difficult trip home, leaving Olivia behind. Being frazzled is understandable. I expect the feeling will be a little different on your next return trip from San Diego. It's super cool to have Gerhard as your long-distance succulents support. Solana Succulents was wonderful recommendation: it looks like a cozy, cramscaped home garden.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to the Haul post.
Chavli
I was feeling all the feelings, lol. You are right, the next time I can enjoy the moment. Hopefully I can take plants on the plane?
DeleteAnts in the car!?! Ugh, that's a nightmare. Thanks for the tour of some fine establishments, I've only been to Solana Succulents. Looking forward to the haul!
ReplyDeleteI really didn't get much. I keep thinking "if only" re: Solana Succulents. The ants!
DeleteOk, I suppose I should not complain about the traffic here! Those cacti at the first nursery are amazing, especially the one that looks like a spiral rocket.
ReplyDeleteI've never been in such stupid traffic. I came close to driving to Bakersfield and finding a hotel. That nursery was perfection!
DeleteTracy, this is amazing! I've never seen anything like it. I am so sorry about the ants, and the long drive. You did well.
ReplyDeleteThank you Jenn. I think I've recovered from the drive, hahaha. My hips were crying from sitting that long.
DeleteAah, the drive! It's completely unpredicatable, even with the predictable LA traffic. But being there and getting to see all the plants they can grow, that is worth the hassle.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you got to see Jeff. Yes, I've been helping him with proofreading. He's such a great guy.
Desert Theatre, OMG, I knew it was big, but not THA
Sorry, got cut off.
ReplyDeleteDesert Theatre, OMG, I knew it was big, but not THAT big. I've never been. I'll put it at the top of my must-see list the next time I'm in SD.
I've been hearing rumors about JB creating his private botanical garden...
It was great to meet Jeff, I'm so glad you told me to say hi. Ivan wants to rent a truck and go back to Desert Theatre, haha. Maybe if I had unbolted my back seats and removed them (another Ivan idea that would've been smart)? Apparently JB bought 2 massive dragon trees for $20k each. I mean, when money is no object why not $40k. One of them died, and he sent his people back to buy another to replace it.
DeleteIvan is right. Rent a truck. Go crazy. Life's too short for restraint :-)
DeleteHey Tracy – In your yard, do you have cactus-like (i.e., succulent) euphorbias? You may well have shared photos, but I wasn't paying attention or didn't recognize the genera. For our SD Plant Guide I'm working on Euphorbia currently. No succulents in SD, but what a fascinating group. Have made several fascinating side trips :) and am thinking about a blog post.
ReplyDeleteoops ... "didn't recognize the species" ... They are ALL genus Euphorbia which blows my mind!
DeleteI do have quite a lot of euphorbias. I'm not the best at ID, but I believe if it has spikes & areoles=cactus. Milky sap=euphorbia. I'm lucky I don't react to the sap, but I'm careful to wash if I get it on my skin. I hope you do your post, you're a deep thinker and they are so fun to read!
DeleteTracy, you are right about the areoles vs sap in terms of the two genera.
DeleteWell, you were are intrepid traveler! The 9-hour drive and that ant infestation would've creeped me out but it sounds like you handled things just fine. And you covered all those nurseries in one visit, which is impressive! I've lived in SoCal all my life and, to the best of my recollection, I've only visited one of those you mentioned.
ReplyDeleteSorry you got stuck in LA traffic. We'd always leave at like 4 AM whenever we were going someplace to get out of LA before rush hour. But that was back when I was a kid.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your post. So fun to see something so different to me, a Wisconsin girl.
ReplyDeleteSending a hug... it is always hard to say goodbye, no matter how old they get.
xo