No fence.
One method for moving large pots I can't quite carry. Hand truck and bungee cord. I did not pull this up the slope via the dirt stairs. Instead I walked around the front of our house and down the fire lane. I entered through the new gate there behind the wheelbarrow. Aloe vanbalenii cross.
In you go, Mr. V. *I've been working on getting tree aloes in along the top of the slope. In my mind this will eventually make a lovely sight without shading the slope.With top dressing. Some spots of bare dirt, I'm considering plunking another plant in so am leaving it be until I decide. My back is to the "other house".
Now I am standing at the bottom of the back pathway of the slope. On the other side of the black fence at the far end of the photo is the fire lane.
This is what it used to look like, I'm about a foot back from the photo above. Fencing and pepper trees are still there. Please don't say this looks better hahahaha! I know it does, the fencing was a great backdrop and completely hid the other house. In reality, the house isn't as close as it appears -in photos it looms large!Back to the future, I'm walking down the back pathway. Which isn't really the back anymore? I asked my husband yesterday if he would consider me completely crazy if I painted that side of the "new house" black for the year it will likely be there before being demolished. He said "nope"... we have been married 30 years.
well, a positive note - the plants aren't shaded by the fence. This is going to be a HUGE plus in the winter. The sun so low the whole slope was shaded in the darkest months. This agave I was planning on moving, as it sulked and toyed with rotting last winter - has rebounded with vigor since receiving full sun.
Proteas and banksias (planted too close to the fence) that were stretching for light have straightened themselves! *View from the top, I have a couple Banksia in cone production. So cute I can't stand it. Sorry, back on the pathway along the bottom of the slope. I'm using Alstroemeria 'Indian Summer' as a repeater in the slope. They aren't aggressive spreaders, and they look pretty darn good most of the year.
And further down.
Now here's a craptastic view. I'm standing at the top of the slope facing the "new house". My garden behind me. MINE ALL MINE! The fence to my left needs to be replaced, our nice neighbors have already mentioned it and that we could share the cost. For $ reasons, this house will be here a year. My husband floated the idea of tearing it down and "You can just grow stuff". Please picture me rubbing my hands together in an evil way. However, I think a small guest house is the way we will go. You can't see from this view, but the veggie garden is on the other side of that little white fence. Fordham St.
I played around on ChatGPT and it gave me this rendering of a greenhouse plus a private area with bedroom/bath. I asked for a large utility sink in the greenhouse, which looks unaccessible in the top photo. In the lower photo, it's turned? Who cares, there is another sink outside. And 2 more in the living space. 4 sinks, wash your face & hands!
Whatever way it turns out, I'm thrilled for the extra space. It will just take time to get it done right.
what a baby! It's turned more orange in the past 24 hours.
Potted Aloe megalacantha - gosh you can't even see it... it's in the black pot.
close-up.
Bye to August, it's been fun!
I played around on ChatGPT and it gave me this rendering of a greenhouse plus a private area with bedroom/bath. I asked for a large utility sink in the greenhouse, which looks unaccessible in the top photo. In the lower photo, it's turned? Who cares, there is another sink outside. And 2 more in the living space. 4 sinks, wash your face & hands!
Whatever way it turns out, I'm thrilled for the extra space. It will just take time to get it done right.
In fun blooming news... Protea time!
Gorgeous Aloe lukeana is sending out a bloom.what a baby! It's turned more orange in the past 24 hours.
Potted Aloe megalacantha - gosh you can't even see it... it's in the black pot.
close-up.
Earlier this year I sowed Red Foliated white cotton seeds. I get bored in the winter and order seeds.
The foliage is pretty. From Southern Exposure Seed Exchange seed packet: Naturally colored cottons were grown by the slaves prior to the Civil War. In many instances, slaves on plantations were not permitted to grow the white cotton of their masters. They could pick the white cotton, but were only permitted to grow colored cotton for their own use. I didn't know this, did you? Anyway, it has some small flower buds on it.
Bye to August, it's been fun!
I enjoy seeing your future plans for taking over the world with your garden. I guess you will have to have patience after all in waiting a year to take down the house. The cotton plant is pretty cool. I didn't know there were any other colors other than white.
ReplyDeleteHa! taking over a corner anyway. They also stocked pink and brown cotton seeds, but the fibers are harder to work with than white.
DeleteFrom that angle it shows what a ton of new space you have. Wonderful renderings of the greenhouse/guest house. Goals!
ReplyDeleteI shouldn't be looking so far ahead, but it was fun to play around.
DeleteI always enjoy seeing your Proteas! (have never seen one live)
ReplyDeleteProteas blow me away, they feel so exotic!
DeleteThat is all so exciting. I can't wait to see your guest house.
ReplyDeleteThank you Jeff!
DeleteYour garden looks better every time I see it, Tracy. That mock-up of the glass house is dreamy...I love that Protea too.
ReplyDeleteSomehow ChatGPT knew that the greenhouse should be monster sized vs. the house. Ha ha!
DeleteHey, whatever works, right? I'm sure you'll find something amazing to do with the house.
ReplyDeleteYes, and I should put the whole thing out of my mind for the time being.
DeleteYou are forever working your wondrous works.
ReplyDeleteAh, thanks Anvil!
DeleteI am growing cotton too. This is the plants second year. I wintered it over, this summer it has gotten HUGE! Our summer has been extremely hot and humid, so that probably helped.
ReplyDeleteI will have to remember to post it. I love the cotton flowers, mine changed colors as the flower matured.
:-)
Happy September!
Oh you Did! I'll watch for your post about it. Mine are quite small, but I neglected watering them earlier in the year... doing better now.
DeleteI love that you're thinking of painting it black until it really goes away, makes sense to me! Your ChatGPT pictures are fabulous even if the details are a little wonky. That greenhouse is positively dreamy. All your photos with directional info help too. Yay!
ReplyDelete