Rock on?

 I spent all of Monday editing the slope, poaching plants from crowded spots in the back garden, and rocking. Buckets and shovelfuls of rocks. I felt like I accomplished so much, and turn around.  Bleh.  It feels like I didn't do anything.  Usually I feel excited to share, but I'm feeling very underwhelmed with my efforts right now.  FILL IN!  GROW!  DO SOMETHING!

I removed several things that weren't singing for me.  Aloe 'David's Delight' is the only thing I can remember now.  I'll use it up top somewhere.  I've been meaning to ground this Trichocereus 
Very pokey, I had no delusions of trying to save the planter.  I've quit with the white pots anyhoo. 
In you go with your friends.  Although now I'm not so sure they are the same? 

Now with the fence gone everything is getting more direct sun.  This area was completely shaded in winter, what a change that will be!
I left this clump of Echeverias 'Mexican snowball'. Looks like it could use a little iron? 
I'm happy to report I used a few "repeaters" throughout.  7x Alstroemeria 'Indian Summer' for one. 
And various Dyckias, for two. 
5x Lechenaultia formosa, for 3. A small Australian subshrub.  From Flowerland. 
I need to figure out a way to keep the top of the "retaining wall" clean.  Either dig a little trench and rock it in or just put pots on it? 
A few favorite new things you can barely see... Agave chazaroi from elsewhere in my garden, needed more space.  This gets 3-5' wide, can you imagine? 
2x Grevillea 'Kings Fire" from Waltzing Matilija. 
Agave 'Burnt Burgundy', an online purchase. It's alive, I promise.  It has been yellow it's whole life.  Maybe some iron? Ha ha ha. 
Delosperma, that stays tight & tidy.  From Berkeley Hort. 
A latest obsession, 2x Adenanthos x cunninghamii.  I adore regular Adenanthos and have several, but this one feels super velvety special.  It grows to a polite 3-5' tall.  From Berkeley Hort. 
Also grounded Aloe Ferox, pink.  From fairviewplants on Ebay.  As small as my hand, I've had it in a 4" pot for a year now I believe.  Eventually this should look lovely at the top of the slope.  
Double checking that things look good from the top, and bottom of the slope was definitely more time consuming than worrying about one view point. The house up there looming at me is "off", if only it was a darker color.  Oh well, all things in good time.  I can't wait for it all to grow up and fill in. 
In farm news, the veggies are growing.  I grabbed a bunch of Arugula and picked some tomatoes... the timing for that was spot on! 

Although I don't think CA has warnings about produce at this time.  Still -no thank you!  Hope you all are having a great week.

Comments

  1. Ha, I am thankful I can go out and pick a salad too. ;-) So happy I garden and grow my own.
    I love it all. I do like the photo with the pool in it. It is just a cool shot.
    And of course I love seeing that cat.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definitely back in full swing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I feel like I haven't gotten anything done, I stop and list the things I actually did. I think your list kind of proved that yeah, you got quite a bit done. Just because it doesn't look like it doesn't mean a lot of work didn't go into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, I seem to be hyper sensitive to earworms these days…
    Hey, shout, summertime blues
    Jump up (up, down) and down in my blue suede shoes
    Hey, did you rock 'n' roll?
    Rock on…

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular Posts