Out with the fenceposts, and in with some
ROCKS. Most of you wouldn't be surprised to hear I love a good rock -almost as much as I love Tree Aloes.
*Please disregard the BRIGHT blue hose, it's a temporary sprinkler set-up for when I'm gone. It will be 90's-100's for the next bit and it's an ugly necessity for some new plants.While I've been editing the plantings in the slope, I kept coming back to the same thought. Rocks, it needs ROCKS. Ivan and Sophia visited this past weekend. He removed the fence posts and cement footings lickety-split! I mean like 15 minutes and was done, I believe there were 7 left and they were very deep. I thought he finished one and came in for water - they were all gone. Again, thank you Ivan.
I was mentioning to him about needing rocks, and it became obvious. No time like the present - the back is free and clear at the moment. No obstacles.
The forklift is a big boy, 9' wide. I try to keep my pathways about 3' but definitely skimp here and there on it. First the biggest boulder is delivered, the driver was able to go down the fire lane right in front of the new house. And around to the back, top of the slope. That open area to the back yard from the fire lane is about 23' wide. A gate will be installed in a few weeks, with a 12' opening.The driver, from Cochran Landscape our local rock yard was great. He asked which face of the rock should go which way. Placed it on the ground, and then pushed it forward with the prongs of the forklift.
And a few more for fun. These are small compared to the large boulder, but still too big for me to move. I was thrilled to have the forklift do the heavy lifting. Oh, I was giddy.
In the largest boulder, there are so many cool crevices and spots to grow things in. I'll have to wait until mid September to have fun with this. So plants can establish properly without frying to death.
The last rock.
I went in for lunch on a total joy high. And received a few deliveries... I felt lucky to find an online source for Australian grass trees, Xanthorrhoea preissii. Tiny, yes but I've had a hard time finding them (at an affordable price) anywhere- Pan's Garden.
I put them in the shade house for the time being. A kooky family of 5.
Here is one I planted a few years back from Waltzing Matilija. I order from Troy often, but no grass trees at the moment. This has grown faster than I expected, and I love the softness around prickly things.
The day just kept giving. I received my order from Starr Nursery. Recommended by the great Agave grower himself, Gerhard, Succulentsandmore blog. Pictured: Agave felgeri, Agave cerulata 'Goyo's Ghost', Agave dissimulans, Agave calciphila and a gift of Agave subsimplex! Agave felgeri I'd like to try planting in the big boulder. It's fairly small & offsets.
In other news, there is still aggressive squirrelling going on.
That is a fig in it's mouth. Goodbye July, that was quick!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI loved how you shared 'I went in for lunch on a total joy high.' .... it just makes one feel so good to get things done. I love the rocks, it is going to be fun watching your garden change.
ReplyDeleteHigh Fives to Ivan.
I floated inside, haha. Thank you Carla.
DeleteI also tell people that you can never have enough rocks here but I can't claim to have embraced that mantra as firmly as yon have!
ReplyDeleteYou're so right, I'd have doubled it if possible.
DeleteRocks really do rock. There is a garden in the park with a few big rocks. I think someone local (not the town) put them there, and they sort of tend the garden around the rucks. They sure don’t over-tend though. :)
ReplyDeleteHmm, I wonder why they put the rocks there? Getting rid of them?
DeleteSo now you are the proud owner of two meteors! 'Jealous' doesn't begin to describe how I feel! Good On You!
ReplyDeleteThe baby Xanthorrhoea preissii, which I had to look up online, could be a nice structural barrier at the top of the slope, though it's entirely possible you have something completely different in mind for that 'kooky family' :-D
Excellent squirrel shot! I love ripe figs so I get the irresistible pull of that fruit, but what I couldn't stop staring at was that magnificent peeling bark; WOW.
Happy travels-
Chavli
This boulder is very submarine shaped. I'm not sure where to put the grass trees yet, they are slow. They do better with some shade at first, a dilemma! Thank you Chavli - you always have the warmest things to say.
DeleteThere's an old saying; igneous is bliss!
ReplyDeleteHa ha ha, dang - that should have been THE TITLE OF THE POST!
DeleteI am still recovering from thinking about you trying to move any of those rocks (bad back here). And the comment "igneous is bliss". My husband was a geology major in college and he and fellow majors used to make lots of geology puns but I don't remember that one.
ReplyDeleteHalf of my enjoyment was the fact they were placed where I wanted them, no way could I move these beasts. Geology puns, sounds like a good group!
DeleteGlad that the rock delivery went well. Things are coming along nicely.
ReplyDeleteThank you Liz!
DeleteGosh Tracy, sometimes I'll make a comment that things look great and I need to catch up on a blog but that just doesn't work here. You are insane and I don't know if I will ever be able to keep up with all you've done! It really looks great and everything seems to settle in so well and match the conditions of the spot you put it in. Amazing... but I bet you're disagreeing as you read this because you know a plant or two is unhappy but you'll always have that.
ReplyDeleteSmall world note: Did your washer break like three years ago? The water inlet assembly on ours broke yesterday and I found the perfect video to repair it and then happened to look at the comments and saw a certain tz_garden lol
Ha ha, you are so right. I've made so many mistakes, maybe I'm starting to learn a little... maybe. YES, I remember a youtube video saving me - taking the washer control panel off and replacing a part. It totally worked for another couple years. Brilliant!
DeleteIt was quick! I can't believe how fast summer is trucking along. Yay for more rocks, and delivery and placement! (and Ivan, yay for Ivan)
ReplyDeleteFlying by, it's nuts. Ivan is so great, I can't say enough good things about him!
DeleteI love how you don't waste time. Seriously, it's impressive to see so much progress in a short period of time.
ReplyDeleteAgave subsimplex: I have one and love it. I don't know why it's so uncommon.
Being jobless and obsessed helps, hahaha. Agave subsimplex, that's great to hear -if you're a fan it's a keeper!
DeleteI've been adding rocks to my humble garden, too - but not boulders! What a lot of wotk!
ReplyDeleteHaving the forklift do all the heavy lifting made this an easy one for me, I just watched!
DeleteI LOVE THE NEW ROCKS! They are awesome! My garden is all rocks too and here is a link showing all of them. It is from 2018 but trust me, they are all still there.
ReplyDeletehttps://getmetothecountry.blogspot.com/2018/03/flower-garden-tour-late-winter-2018.html
You won't regret adding them to your garden (which is already fantastic) because they add so much interest. I can't wait to see what you plant around them.
Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry
You simply cannot have enough rocks or boulders! Love yours!
DeleteA rock will never need water, fertilizer, bug spray, or weeding. They will never be uprooted during the night by an unknown garden visitor, as just happened to my dailas. They sit there looking interesting and never wear out!
DeleteGreat choice!
July did indeed go by very quickly. The bark in that (Arbutus?) tree where the aggressive squirreling is taking place is gorgeous. I've not much patience for squirreling in the garden, unless it's being done by me, of course. Rock on.
ReplyDeleteHa! Agree, I love that bark - especially when it first starts "the peel" the fresh new bark underneath starts out so green.
Delete