Bloken

 When Olivia was very little she would toddler mispronounce broken as "bloken".  Some other favorites were "velcros" for scarecrows and Vincent's "awfuls" for waffles.  One of the best was Sophia's lyric of "Girlfriend's Nutmeg" for the Billy Squier song "The Stroke". 

I broke bloke the table while I was flinging the hose around.  Plus a few pots.  

While cleaning the mess..  hmmmmm, drainage holes.  I gathered the base & top of the table on some old plastic, along with the pot I bashed last week.
Why not try something before tossing them out?  I mentioned last week I've been getting away from stark white planters.  I picked up a couple spray paints to try.  One with a stone textured finish that had me particularly worried.  Dreading popcorn ceiling outcome. 
First coat wasn't terribly impressive but maybe? I let it dry, if there was too much of the texture it began blobbing & running.
Unfortunately the stony textured can was quick to empty.  I sprayed the other 2 remnants with the Behr matte mountain stone. 
I've had an old Puya hanging out in a bucket over several months.  You can see it's on the scruffy side. This had been in the ground, but I removed it for a different plant that wasn't so vicious... the Puya is definitely from the old Annie's Annuals. I think it's Puya venusta but it could be alpestris.  It's never bloomed, I mean can you blame it?
The drainage hole in the broken base of the table was way too large, cut a piece of fine mesh to help hold rocky soil inside. 
And planted the cleaned up, now very pineapple shaped Puya.  I'll get another can of the stone paint, I actually like how the texture looks - another coat needed also you can see where I smurfed the surface before it was completely dry.  
I was shoveling/moving the extra rock up top yesterday, I went to take a breather in the shade. I went around to sit on the shady porch of the new house and watched this guy - they put him waaaay up high.
and then way down low and over to the left.  And back & forth and up and down again and again. What in the world?  I could only imagine they were trimming that palm tree. Obviously avoiding the maze of wires was a challenge. 
I came back around to check on the progress later.  All that to take down the agave bloomstalks! (One is still standing there at the peak of the roof).  I couldn't help but think both of the stalks could've been taken down with a ladder & saw. In less time than taken to float him all around in his white garbage can. 
I wish they had left the glory of them for a few more months. Oh well,  here are a couple blooms happening now in the back garden  -Echinopsis. 
and Cyranthus elatus x. montanus from The Bulb Maven.  

That's a wrap.  I have something fun happening tomorrow I'll share, then I'm off to Portland to visit with friends, family and a garden I've been dying to see!

Comments

  1. How much must it have cost to bring out the guy in the bucket to trim the flower stalks??? And then to leave one? People are weird. Love that you're having fun with bloken pottery and can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes no sense. I'm relieved they didn't cut down the cardon cactus, it's lovely. Yes, I can't wait!

      Delete
  2. That stone texture paint did come out nice. Isn't it great when they do what they say they're supposed to do? And no more white pots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You put so much love and work into your garden. Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bucket truck for agave flower stalks? That is INSANE!! I love that you were there at the right time to observe the spectacle.

    Your spray-painted pots look fantastic. The color is perfect for your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe it, and I don't think they were city workers. And then leaving one? It did entertain me while I was taking a break. Thank you, the pots turned out better than I imagined they would.

      Delete
  5. I have nothing against white pots, they can look elegant in the right setting with the right plant. For your garden there are better choices. Your pot make-over is wonderful. I love the results and no doubt your Puya is breathing a sigh of relief!

    I bet I know who's garden you'll visit in Portland. It would be top on my list :-D Delightfully waiting for the post visit report.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind white either, or any color really. They just look too stark here where it is really bright most of the time. The poor Puya, lol. I'm excited for the garden visit!

      Delete
  6. I think you’re onto sorting it h the painted pots. That guy had quite a ride in that bucket. I wonder if it was on his bucket list. Our neighbourhood’s wires are buried. All of the new subdivisions here are like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, the driver and the guy on the sidewalk directing him were arguing a bit. Bucket guy looked relaxed. Our lines are buried too, but not on the "other" side.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular Posts