It was 73 degrees and I pretty much lost my mind with happiness, while wearing shorts all day! 

I spent a few hours on all the grass coming up in the pathways and beds.  I kept asking myself "where is this coming from I don't have ANY grass".  

I brought out the expanding saw/pruner and got down a good portion of the ratty palm leaves.  Then chopped them up for the green bin.

My avocado trees are kinda doing ok?  The were really chewed up over the summer by all the grasshoppers Ugh! This smaller one is protected by the Meyer lemon, and I think he likes it that way.
This much larger Mexicola dropped lots of sun burnt leaves but seems to be springing back into action.  I can only hope for NO freeze after flower buds set.  Fingers crossed I'll be out pollinating with the makeup brush this year.  Who knows, I'll give this experiment another 2 years.  
Now who would've done this?  Someone planted a crinum, narcissus, random lily and then nasturtium seeds on top?  lol, I guess I over treated what was a bare spot.

Wednesday we are supposed to be hit with a pineapple express.  Livermore is supposed to get 2.5" over  7 days which I believe our ground will deal with because there are breaks between showers.  I'm grateful it's going to be pineapple express warm and not cold.  I found the sump pump and attached a hose, just in case I get flooding around the beds.  Especially near any agave.  I'm probably overreacting after the gross flooding last year.  

I am SO ready for Spring to hit full blast!  What are you working on?  When does Spring officially begin where you are?

Comments

  1. It's been beautiful here too. The rain is supposed to reach us Wednesday night but it looks more like Thursday to me. The current projection appears to be 5 inches but the LA Times doesn't anticipate flooding in the LA area - fingers crossed for both of us!

    I envy you the avocado trees. I've got plenty of grass weeds too even though we spent our first few years here removing all the lawn, digging it out ourselves because we were unimpressed by the professionals that just stripped away the top inch or 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5 inches! Well, I hope it's dispersed over a few days and there isn't flooding. That darn grass. I pulled all of ours out, this is definitely new sprouts from seeds getting in one way or another. At least it pulls easily.

      Delete
  2. Yes, fingers crossed. And I'm rooting for an early spring, too, although for us, that means something slightly different. 73 degrees? Wow, that's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like the backlit photos at the start :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah spring... I fear it's a long ways away for me, but it has been "warmer" (mid 50's/mid 40's). Can you tell me more about your expanding saw/pruner? I need to buy one but haven't managed to pull the trigger yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a Corona telescoping saw with pruner - I would guess 5 years old, and it's been a dream. However, I can't say the new versions are as sharp. I tried one recently and I don't think it would cut butter. Make sure you buy somewhere you can easily return is my only helpful advice.

      Delete
  5. Lovely view of your outside area. Hope the avos are yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spring? What's that? In April and May the weather bounces up and down and you could get vertigo trying to guess at a last frost date. Seriously, the weather here in the Northeast has been so up and down all fall and winter. February is usually a miserable month and we've had below zero lows in March in past years. But next week - 40's and sun? Huh? In the meantime, blogs like yours keep me going. Good luck with your pineapple express. It's been all over the weather channel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, yes we are all gray again. I always breathe a sigh of relief when we get past the predicted last freeze date. I hope that sunshine is enjoyable for you and your garden!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!