Our first freeze of the year happened this morning, it got down to 29 for an hour or two here in Livermore.  I didn't do much in covering, BUT I did pin up this vinyl tablecloth over the barrels - not to protect from the cold so much as to keep the rain off them yesterday BEFORE the temperature drop.

I have these nifty little pop-up tents made with frost cover in varying sizes, I got them out & assembled but didn't bother putting them on anything.  Usually 28 degrees is when I take action and cover a few things overnight, and only 32 was predicted.  

Thankfully our rain for the next week is sporadic and includes sunny days in between for the ground to soak up the water, I guess that is the best I could ask for. Below is my mini wheelbarrow full of rainwater, frozen on top.
I put this frame together as well, in case we get a more serious freeze (and rain- the two close together are the worst).  I have a roll of frost cloth to clip to it.  * Not for Acacia 'Cousin Itt'-I just set the frame there.
And I got an order from Mountain Crest Gardens.  There was a big sale at the beginning of the year, so I snagged some extra sedum dasyphyllum for the rock garden.  A bag of 30-40 sempervivum unrooted and a few mangave plugs 'purple people eater' and 'pineapple express'.  The code 'bye2023' saved me $27, pretty good deal.  
Thankfully, it is nice & sunny today.  I really need to get serious about pulling the weeds popping up everywhere.    Has anyone ordered seed for Spring?

Comments

  1. The frozen water at the top of your wheelbarrow looked like saran wrap to me, such is my familiarity with icy temperatures ;) Freezes are a foreign concept here. Nice haul from Mountain Crest! I considered placing an order but I don't yet have a layout planned for the succulent bed I'm planning to renovate so I'm holding off for now. However, I have ordered LOTS of seeds already, most for summer blooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can't wait to see what you've ordered! I should get on that, flower & tomato seeds are on my to do list.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, that's a lot you have to go through to protect your garden. But the ice does look great in the barrow.
    I ordered eight packets of seeds just yesterday. Mid summer is definitely not the time to plant anything here, but I can't wait until autumn - or what you would call fall - when I will be ordering plants from all my favourite online suppliers, and visiting the local nurseries. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I probably over do it on the freeze protection, we dip below a few times but only for a few hours. I think I miss being outside all afternoon. I ordered seeds yesterday as well, tomatoes, sunflowers and gomphrena.

      Delete
  3. Wow, 29! That a few degrees colder than here in Davis. My 6 ft Pachyphytum geayi is the only thing I've wrapped so far. I ordered more frost blankets (extra weight), but fortunately it looks like I won't need them. At least not now. Fingers crossed temps will stay above freezing - here and in Livermore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I was wondering if there were differences between here and Davis. I think we've hit freezing (for an hour or so) a couple times now. I do have my geayi in the little greenhouse, it is potted and certainly NOT 6 feet tall, hahaha. This year has definitely been milder than last, I'm thankful for that!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!