A monster has outgrown her pot.  I doubt I could've done this project justice without Ivan & Sophia's help.  At the very least, I would've made a terrible mess inside.  

Basically all roots in the pot.

Unfortunately, we had to kill the nice pot.
Ivan crushed charcoal, mixed in moss and made a great mix for a moss pole to support the monstera.
He was covered in charcoal dust!  The finished moss pole, over 6' tall.
Voila!  Back in the front room, no worse for the wear.  *Excuse the messy floor.

Lowe's has marked down almost all their pots by 40%, I snagged a few talavera pots.  They aren't my "go to" but I think a few thrown in for color are nice.  Balloon cactus in a rounded pot, I'm hoping in a few years this will look a bit like a hot air balloon.

Dancing preying mantis spotted, go get the dang grasshoppers!

Silver ball cactus, Parodia scopa grouped together in a shallow gray pot.
A talavera strawberry pot stuffed with various succulent cuttings and a mammillaria on top - which looks like a pineapple in this picture with the Yucca Filifera behind it.
Thumb cactus, mammillaria matudae in a simpler talavera.  
And a steal $20 navy blue tall pot for lophocereus schottii monstrose.  This plant was not doing well in the ground, he was a bit too shaded and sulking.  We'll see if this hotter spot will help.
 
Loving the weather, still in the 80's but the evenings cool off early.
Have you started fall clean-up where you are?  What are the daytime temps/nighttime temps?  

Comments

  1. Great job Ivan and Sophia! That's a fabulous Monstera. Congratulations on the 40% off pot sale too. Apparently, I need to go pot shopping.

    Yes, I've started tackling my fall cleanup. the marine layer is keeping our daytime temperatures down in the mid-70s with nighttime temperatures in the mid-60s. We're expecting another warm-up Friday-Monday but it doesn't look like it'll be too bad and the temperatures are expected to come down again immediately following the 4-day bump up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tempted to go back and grab a few more of the real deal pots. I know I can always use extra, especially come Spring.

      The weather! Even tho we are still 87-ish it just doesn't feel as hot with the cooler evenings. And nights in the 56-58 range. Jealous of the marine layer, sounds perfect.

      Delete
  2. This is exactly what I need to do to my Monstera! I currently carry mine to the bathtub to water, it's quite the chore. How are you watering yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'll be dumping into the moss pole to keep that wet so as the roots attach they can get water. Also I dump a gallon of water in about once a week. This new mix is soil-less - so this will be new to me -if it's about the same amount of water as before? I think it was fairly dehydrated with just a root ball in the old pot. I did have a large saucer under to catch water- new pot there is NO hole. Ivan was quite certain it can handle a little water sitting inside as long as I don't really drown it. Is there a way you can stop carrying it to the bathtub? That seems like too big a chore!

      Delete
    2. I'll have to water in place when I repot. Thanks for the information, I'm going to make a moss pole like yours and thinking I'll put a saucer underneath

      Delete
  3. Your garden helpers did a great job. The Monstera will surely be happy and grow well. The Parodia looks elegant in that grey pot.

    I wonder if you have trouble with rounded pots the Balloon cactus is in? I have trouble getting a plant out of that shape of pot. Some of the root ball ends up wider than the opening and it is a struggle. I put the plant in a straight-sided nursery pot and put that inside the rounded pot now, so I can get it out.

    I'm doing bits of this and that in the garden when possible. There is a lot of cutting back to do. We had a couple cool days but the non-garden part of life demanded them, then it got hot again. Fri-Mon going to be 90+. It is 92F at the moment. Very nice at night in the mid 60's F.

    That last photo--at warm summer sunset times it must be paradise, with golden light glinting through the conifer. A dip in the pool if it is still to warm! What a way to start an evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Yes, I usually stay away from rounded or small necked pots. I decided to make an exception because I don't expect rapid growth from the balloon cactus- and I may just leave it in there forever? Your idea to keep it in the nursery pot is a good one, I'll copy that!

      We are warmer today today - and I had a project inside that I couldn't put off. I'm loving the cooler evenings, too ! Beautiful and does feel like fall.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!