A tiny bit of rain in Livermore this early morning, .06 so nothing serious.  Mammillaria senilis with some hot orange mostly red blooms!

I've just about finished planting the new middle bed, and now need to get some dg to gussy up the paths,  and better blend the old bed with the new.  

I had to add a few pops of color, all the california gold looks so drab to me.  I keep reminding myself as the plants get larger and fill in -it will change.  Added Aloe helenae from The Dry Garden Nursery and a Cephalocereus senilis x leuchocephalus from Poot's Cactus & Nursery.


His hair got wet, I do adore fluffy cacti.
I have 2 potted Aloe plicatilis so decided to ground this one, I like it here.



Got the lettuce/herb bed reseeded.  The house bunny will be happy to hear about that.  Tomatoes in the raised bed, I usually start from seed in January - but this year just bought 5 plants.  This is the "messy" side of the house with potted lemon, lime, avocado & grapefruit trees.  I have a greenhouse waiting to be put together for this area.  



I moved some Pilocereus azuerus to the more protected princess bed by the kitchen window.  They were too much work to keep protected in the middle bed, and they still ended up with rot.  I covered them with double frost cloth tent whenever it dipped below 38.  Enough is enough!  hahahaha.

Aloe suprafoliata, these guys are tough.  I know they are winter growers, but they surprised me by withstanding lower temps (freeze) with zero drama.
I caught big boy assessing the new garden bed.
Dr. Feelgood taking a bite of the bird seed cake before I hung it.  *This went very high into the tree, to keep the birds safe from this little rascal.

Comments

  1. You are doing great work. Early spring we are all out there aren't we?

    Looks like a happy healthy young 'Pom Pom' there in photo #3--enjoy! They are striking, even out of flower.

    Aloe suprafoliata is one of my favorite Aloes--it always looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. I'm so tired at the end of the day. I've been sleeping like a well-fed baby. I just picked that up from Alden Lane Nursery here in Livermore. The label said Startreuse, and I couldn't resist it. When I went to check out, the guy ringing me up mumbled "startreuse that's the worst". lol. I have no idea if he hates the name, or the color?

      Delete
    2. *referring to photo #3 leucadendron

      Delete
  2. I remember when I thought 0.06/inch of rain was a good deal ;) Your back garden is really coming together. I appreciate the added touches of color. Your "protected princess" corner looks great! I'm envious of your future greenhouse, something I've always wanted but arguably don't "need," at least to protect plants from cold temperatures, but if I could find the room for one I'd probably go for it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, I'm still feeling like it's a bit drab. I opened the box to build the greenhouse, glanced at the directions and immediately thought, call a handyman. I like to do things myself, but I know in the end it will turn out better if (someone with a bit more patience getting things level) puts it together. You are in the land of milk & honey!

      Delete
  3. Those Mammillaria blooms are unbelievable! So vibrant and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :). Should be even more blooms open when you're here on Easter!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!