DAY 1

Today the slope reno begins! Excavation of some of the soil and the deck build beginning.  This is too large of a project for me, so I have hired it out.  I've been SO excited for this!!! Talk began when Ivan started clearing the area of continus & yuccas.  Dreams of a shade house are coming true.

PGE showed up yesterday to spray this quickly before the dig.  There isn't electric up there.
These two gentleman have worked very hard today, they did take a short lunch break but then right back to it.  I hope they have a hearty dinner tonight.  

When I got back from my morning run, they had dug out a good amount of soil & rock. I'm impressed, this is about 70 minutes of work! I was sad to see my Arbutus unedo a little brutalized :(. But, I do think it will be o.k.  
I'd have liked to save a little of this dirt, it's good stuff!  But realistically I don't have anywhere to put it. 

I went about my business, repotting some neglected baby staghorn starts & orchids that have been laying around. Watered and put them in the greenhouse for the time being. When I was moving them in, I noticed the 2 Palo blanco seedlings looked not so great.  But when I looked in closer I realized, they are already turning BLANCO! How wonderful.  I started these from seed about 3 months ago.  *Totally copying Gerhard, Succulentsandmore  -at the least, taking his recommendation. 
Some of Ivan's cool oddities in the greenhouse, they LOVE the heat.  


Behind the greenhouse, I have a passion fruit vine which hosts Gulf Fritillary butterflies.  At this time of year, they are floating around by the dozen back there, caterpillars all over the vine.  I noticed what I think is a Monarch butterfly come into the area, and 2 of the Gulf Fritillary were on the  Monarch like a cheap suit! 
I hadn't seen them be territorial before, or were they being friendly, haha?! Yes, that is definitely powdery mildrew on the pumpkins, but I have just 2 left to harvest -so no big D. 
And, around 3:30p I was done for the day, I needed to come inside and take the time to fill out my ballot.  James said the measures took a while to go over.  And as the men were cleaning up for the day, I snapped these two photos. Wow, I'm super impressed with the work so far.  

Looking forward to seeing what they accomplish on day 2! 
Dr. Feelgood sniffing their wheelbarrow, he's a little irritated with these guys causing such a ruckus in his yard.  Somehow I feel like he will get the most enjoyment out of the new area.  Naps.  
I'm going to post each day until it's complete.  It is scheduled to be done Thursday, but they got so much done today I wouldn't be surprised if they finish early.  

Comments

  1. Yay for hiring out the hard work. That would have been way too much for you. Initially, the paint looked like "no pee" to me. I had to take a second look...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly looks like you're off to a great start, Tracy! Getting a good foundation down is key. My husband says my lath house has settled a bit lower on one side, probably the result of the extra rain we've had the past 2 years :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!

Back home