The Heat is On

The past few weeks of cool August weather have been glorious!  I fear September will be extra hot to make up for it.  *Old pipes & pig.

I have cleaned up a few messes that I just couldn't stand any longer.  The crinums (2 big clumps) were just a mess, and don't really "belong" in the slope. After blooming they are bleh. I have them in the front garden, and the perennials hide the mess, so they work better there.
Moved in Adenathos sericeus and a Mangave that was mostly hidden in a different part of the yard, hopefully it handles the move o.k. The slope is partial shade.  I just noticed Dr. Feelgood giving the Mangave some love. 

Moved this beautiful creature, Brachychiton rupestris 'Queensland Bottle Tree' into place.  

A wee Eucalyptus macrocarpa, with shade protection.  I figured in the ground was safer than in the little grower pot. 
So many lizards this year, there are babies running every which way!  This guy was comfortable and let me take his picture.  
This one not so lucky, impaled on mammillaria.  After the ants have had their fill, is it awful I'm hoping his skeleton stays intact on the cactus?  
Honorable mentions-  Asclepias linaria, Pine needle milkweed.  Beautiful texture, tough as nails.  I'd like to add a few more of these.   Hardy to 25°, haven't seen a butterfly on it as of yet.
Jessamine Cestrum newelii 'Ruby Clusters', the hummers have enjoyed these dark red blooms.  Will chop down in winter so it stays small. 
One of these is definitely NOT like the other.  I have a small Regelia velutina and love the soft leaves and their structure.  I ordered another one, but that clearly is not the same plant. lol

Any guesses on WHAT the IMPOSTER IS?
Stay cool out there!  Shade cloth is going up here & there for me, what is your September usually like? Our September averages are 86°/54° high/low and 0 days of precipitation.  

Comments

  1. I love getting a glimpse of all the odds and ends in your garden!

    Your Brachychiton rupestris is huge! It looks like it's taller than the fence already?

    I'm glad you got a Eucalyptus macrocarpa. I love mine.

    Fence lizards: We have SO MANY this year!

    Regelia velutina: It looks like the plant you already had is the right one. Correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, my guess is the Brachychiton is 7-8' tall. I should thank you again for introducing us all to Troy. I got that from him during the late July sale he had "plants too big to ship" he wanted to clear them out and there were some deals to be had! I think you urged me to get a Eucalyptus macrocarpa at the Fling, or I imagined you did, lol. The foliage is gorgeous.
      I've never noticed this many lizards before. I agree, the Regelia velutina in the ground is the right one!

      Delete
  2. You live in a unique environment, compared to mine, with your plants and critters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a desert climate, I enjoy your garden very much for it's differences Anvil!

      Delete
  3. You got a lot more done when the temperatures were low than I did! (Does having a new cat/kitten count as an excuse?) I took out a mass of Crinum here years ago not long after we moved in for the very same reason. I love the thought that Dr Feelgood is admiring that beautiful Mangave but are you sure he wasn't chasing a lizard?

    The only saving grace associated with September here is usually lower nighttime temperatures. The daytime temperatures can be brutal, even along the coast. Climate scientist Daniel Swain of weatherwest dot com isn't offering a particularly positive outlook for California :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt like Fall, plus I have some real messes on my hands this year. Ok, I agree on the Crinum, and I'm thinking the ones in the front may have to go as well. Probably wait a year. Thankfully, Dr. mostly ignores the lizards - tho he is an excellent mouser/rat killer. I wish he would stay inside like your Meeko! I'm going to go look up Daniel Swain and his dire predictions now, I do like to know what we're up against.

      Delete
  4. Are you certain it's not the same plant, just shaded and watered more? Plants can grow very uncharacteristically in weird nursery conditions. Maybe try crushing and sniffing a leaf of each?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, but that structure is really different? Although the texture of the leaves is similar. I'll do a sniff test.

      Delete
  5. Yeah, I'm afraid of fall with how mild our summer was. I'm expecting a heat wave. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuck! At least it's cooler at night (knock on wood).

      Delete
  6. Yeesh. Suicidal lizards. I would think they would know better. Like the mouse that impaled itself on one of my agaves this last January. No, I don't think it is odd that you want the skeleton to stick around. After a lovely bit of cool weather over the last couple weeks, we are warming up to the upper 90s towards the end of the week. Thankfully shortlived (I hope).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, of course, I heard Glenn Frey singing 'The Heat is On' as soon as I saw the title of your post!

      Delete
    2. Hahahaha, I thought of the song too - I'm glad you caught that :)

      Delete
  7. Very impressive combinations and arrangements in your garden. How great to offer shade protection for the wee Eucalyptus macrocarpa. I love the Pine Needle Milkweed...it reminds of Whorled Milkweed (A. verticillata), which is native here. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm off to google Whorled Milkweed, Thanks Beth!

      Delete
  8. I think the pig pot is a hoot! So very whimsical.

    You said "Cool autumn weather". Doesn't that only happen in the artic? We have had a month of upper 90s, four days of 100 degree and absolutely not one single drop of rain for the whole month. I envy your cool weather. Send it this way.

    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!

Back home