Project DNF

The front entry is still a work in progress.  The second smaller planter arrived Sunday, but was delivered to the side yard not the typical drop off spot -the front porch. Took me a while to find it.  Also, I can't just blame the delivery - I realized I don't have a plant picked out for the other side.  I would love to put an agave there but it's full shade.  Maybe I'll luck out and find a shade tolerant agave, perhaps Agave guiengola?! Any suggestions? A quick peek, trying to dig deep into restraint and keep the area clean.  Not my forte.  And 5 different type of rock is not really restraint is it?

I'll finish up this week, I'm desperate to get the porch tidied up.  It's a mess with shovels, bags of rock, wheelbarrow, etc.  So, today all I can offer is a random Monday morning walk through the garden. 

I moved this fern (mounted by Ivan in the Y of a branch) to higher ground.  It really suffered from the move to Livermore from Berkeley, but has adapted to higher highs and lower lows.  *I should clean it up.

The pumpkins have really taken off.  This is 'Blue Doll" growing up and over the greenhouse.  Very large finely textured pumpkin - honestly the most delicious squash I've ever eaten.  Roasted with olive oil and salt & pepper.  I can't wait!

A baby, they grow up to 15-20 lbs. 

I had a couple of my largest golden barrels rot from the rain last year, a tragedy.  I threw this one off to the side of a path, unplanted roots loose.  Hoping for the best that it would throw off some pups. 


As luck would have it, 5 months later!   It's hard to tell from the picture, but this is a good sized barrel.  I'm tempted to put it back in the slope, the rotten center facing away from view and let this form into a big clustered barrel.  Or would you pop off the babies, please comment and let me know "What would you do?"

A neglected canna I keep for those beautiful leaves.  
Love the dark foliage of this dahlia, simple.
The cantaloupe are climbing the house.  Growing up, my parents would halve a cantaloupe to share, always sprinkling salt and pepper all over their half.  As a kid, I thought this was incredibly weird.  Now not so much. I love tajin on watermelon.
The uncommonly cooler August feels very much like Fall.  No complaints here!
Have a great week!  I hope to finish the entry way and do a proper post on the after later this week.  

Comments

  1. Maybe try a Mangave in that front entry spot instead of a sun-loving Agave? Many of my Mangaves seem to prefer a bit of shade and I've lost some of those I placed in full sun (although drier than optimal conditions may have been a factor there). The pumpkins are off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love this idea- thank you Kris!!! You're right on, the spot gets about an hour of sun in the morning which would be enough to keep it happy.

      Delete
  2. Yay for you with the pumpkins. :-) I grew white ones a few years ago.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are delicious, and very pretty as they turn blue.

      Delete
  3. unpopular opinion, shouldnt AI be able to make crypto and stock market analysis, since they are the future

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of "the most delicious squash...roasted with olive oil, salt & pepper": That's how I fix Delicata squash. It doesn't require peeling, which is a bonus. Did you ever grow that one?
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Delicata squash, in fact I've eaten a couple this week. And it's so nice not to bother taking the skin off. I WILL grow them next year!

      Delete
  5. Thank you Liz, I am happy with it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the combinations of plants and the locations. The Canna foliage is magical, isn't it? Great capture! That Dahlia...the foliage AND the flower...wow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Y fern is spectacular, and I spied a pyrrosia in the first photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a healthy pumpkin. You can grow anything.

    I have a parent/cantaloupe story too. Growing up, my father always put mayonnaise on his cantaloupe. Not a small drop, but a large tablespoon glob on every bite. Ugh! I hated it growing up because every bite he gave me oozed with mayonnaise. It wasn't until I was in my twenties and out at a restaurant with friends that I cautiously nibbled a bite of cantaloupe. I loved it! It was then that I learned nobody else in the whole world dips their cantaloupe into mayonnaise. I do think it was weird and haven't grown out of that opinion. I can see salt and pepper on a cantaloupe though.
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!

Back home