Finished, well almost Part 3 AFTER

 The clean-up is done!  I wanted the alstromeria gone, but also needed this shady spot by the front porch for 3 Pseudopanax crassifolius I snagged from Waltzing Matilija.  I was hoping to make a better, cleaner transition from the garden to the porch.  The porch has a variety of staghorn ferns, orchids & tillandsias -it all just felt too messy.  The planter is already starting to do that nice rusting thing.

I chose a ginger 3/8 for top dressing, to go with the Corten steel as it changes color. If I don't like it together, I can pick the rock off and replace it.
I'm still looking for the proper plant for the planter on this side.  The Agave attenuata 'Ray of Light' is a place holder.  I like it, but it feels like a weak plant.  I think it must have been raised by indulgent parents.  The Begonia is Sophia Angel Wing, which I couldn't resist because of the color... and really because it shares my first born daughter's name. Kris suggested a mangave, and I think she's spot on! I always liked kaleidoscope, anyone have insight on that one - or a different suggestion?

I'm using every ounce of restraint to not fill every crevice with plants.  I added a few cushion plants and well behaved creepers.  Common Sempervivum, Arenaria, a Deuterochnia brevifolia (which I always call Deutoronomy and can't remember the correct name),  tiny Sedum dasyphyllum  -and because of Loree I added a couple Pyrrosia.  *Not pictured: Pyrossia lingua Keikan. 
Although I know it doesn't look very filled in, I need to let it be.  *It will be close to impossible to not grab a chopstick to stick more plants in between rocks. 

I know sempervivum, hens & chicks, houseleeks are super Grandma plants, or at least I used to think of them that way.  Now I love the way they politely multiply.
And can't help but think about my younger self, we moved into our first house after getting married.  *from Google, I didn't plant those trees.  3842 SE 40th Ave in Portland.  Near Powell & Francis. $115k.  Back in those days, (1996?)  the rocks on each side of the stairs were covered with sempervivum.  I spent a weekend scraping and digging them all off.  I never could get rid of the vinca on the rock wall. Or the blackberries in the back yard.  In my defense, I had 3 babies while living there.  Not much garden time, but some great sweet memories! I do not miss carrying the cans up & down the stairs for pick-up.  
Anyway, I've come around and enjoy plants I used to disregard.  I haven't changed my mind on Heuchera, I intensely dislike them for no good reason.  Any plant you have disdain for?  

Overall, I'm really happy with the update.  I do think it's a better transition to the staghorns, etc.
The apron on this superbum is larger than my arm now!


I love the fuzzy velvet reindeer antler look of this one. *Almost all of these beauties are from Ivan.  
And that's a wrap!  A few more days of just about perfect weather, then I'll be getting the shade cloth back out for 100's.  
Have you been outside in the garden?  My typical August is avoiding pretty much all garden jobs - this year the weather was too nice not to be outside. 
I hope you have a lovely weekend ~Tracy















Comments

  1. I also often find it hard to stick to my original visions for various spaces, especially when I fall for new plants virtually every time I go to a garden center and then have to find a place to put them. Stay strong! I love Semperviviums but then that one genus of succulents that doesn't really like the chill/freeze-free climate here - they don't spread like crazy as they do elsewhere. 'Kaleidoscope' is a nice Mangave - the leaves are similar to 'Pineapple Express' but more colorful. You might look at 'Red Wing' too, which has stiffer foliage. Best wishes for a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, me too. I'm going to really try to let it be. I will look at/for Red Wing. Thanks for the recommendation! I may have to drive to Berkeley or I've been wanting to go to Dry Oasis in Half Moon Bay for a good sized specimen. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. So much to look at, but I am really taken with the big planter and the rocks in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anvil, I'm hoping everything will blend in a bit with time.

      Delete
  3. It is so lovely and so unique from what I see here in Wisconsin. I love that you share it all with us. Thank You!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carla! I agree, I love to see the differences.

      Delete
  4. I enjoy Heuchera even though I can't grow them (long story). Otherwise, I agree with you, and the updates look fabulous. Your design sense is great. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, thank you. I had to laugh at "long story"!

      Delete
  5. That corner looks wonderful. I wouldn't add anything, not for a while anyway: consider it an exercise in restraint :-D The rocks and stones you laid out are a thing of beauty and you can take the time to enjoy them as they are. I'm sure that by next spring you'll have more thought on what you what to grow there.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Chavli, just leave it be. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. That space ended up looking so wonderful by the door! I loved your vision, and you made it come true! It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you were right on about the placement!

      Delete
  7. It all looks good, especially the planter amidst the dark pebbles

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the rocks and stones as much as the plants. Nicely done and I'm glad you're please with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So agree, can't have enough rocks and stones. Thank you Susie.

      Delete
  9. Cobbles with scattered rocks and succulents look great! Hope you can restrain yourself! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I give myself 6 weeks before I poke something else into the ground there. Thank you :)

      Delete
  10. It all looks so good! (two pyrrosia!?! yay!) am so jealous you can grow Deuterochnia brevifolia (now known as Deutoronomy) in the ground! Mine has to come inside for the winter.

    $115K!?! Good lord, you can't buy a shed in the worst neighborhood in Portland for that these days. You were very close to gardening friend of mine, Portland's banana belt. Had you stuck around and gardened there you'd have had a sweet spot for sure. Heuchera... I share your dislike!

    Your staghorns (and tillandsia) are magnificent. Do you spray them when they're hanging on the house? Or remove them first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have a couple Deutoronomy in the back slope, shaded. The first year or two they struggled because I would forget to hit them with water on hot days. They are doing better, but I figured this would be so much easier (so much closer to a hose) and I sprinkle the staghorns, etc. every other day during the summer. No, it's so dry here I just shower everything where it is. Portland's banana belt. I didn't know that, I would LOVE to go back and do that garden up right!

      Delete
  11. It looks great!!! I love Corten planters; they're the epitome of coolness in my book :-)

    For the square planter, how about an Agave desmetiana 'Joe Hoak'? I think a plant with light-colored foliage would be great foil for the Corten.

    As for Heucheras, I like the species (like our native Heuchera maxima). The varieties with colored leaves are too gaudy for me. Plus, the colors invariably fade to a muddy greenish brown in our heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we're so cool! hahaha. I actually have a good sized 'Joe Hoak'. It struggled outside in the winter, but perhaps the planter would help (with wet+cold) and it would be under an eave so I can control the water better. That's a great idea, it's a pretty plant that deserves showing off. I will give the native Heuchera a look. I know the plant can work, sometimes you just can't help how you feel. Yes, it looks awful here!

      Delete
  12. Wow, two (or more) avowed Heuchera haters in one post! This makes me laugh. We all have our biases and it is fun to learn what other people's preferences are. I like them just fine, but wish the newer varieties weren't so temperamental. I fell in love with H. micrantha, a plain green native species with sprays of small white flowers for months on end. Very nice for the dark shade in our yard. But, we like what we like. The new planter looks great! I bet it feels good to have that area finished for the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I'm sure unfair, they scorch here and look so bad. I will look at H. micrantha, it sounds so nice.

      Delete
  13. It looks fantastic! I enjoyed the tour. You have created a magical garden; however, raising three babies was the best thing you have ever grown in your life.

    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!

Back home