A small revamp

Probably not much change, but I wanted to "lift" this bed and freshen the top dressing. 

Here is a before, sorry for the "hot" photos, this area really gets blasted by the sun.  I was working on a timeline, I had a 3pm dentist appointment.  *I'm just about at the end of a 7 month invisalign treatment to move a molar back in line.

THIS was the main reason, this ground cover is beautiful in spring covered with tiny pink flowers.  Then as we get hotter it turns into a brown crispy blob.  Not tough enough!  And the blue elf aloe does ZILCH for me.  Scorched ends.  I find that when plants are labeled drought tolerant full sun, that doesn't always cover my full sun situation.  We are headed into 7 days of 100°, Wednesday is supposed to be 106°.  Thankfully we do cool down at night, I'll go out in the mornings and hopefully clean my house in the afternoons. :)
Some big fruits on Echinopsis had split open.  
I set aside the silver torches and sedum autumn joy and agave that I wanted to put back in the bed after I added a good amount of soil to raise it a bit.  Put in the shade under Hakea laurina.

I'll admit to stopping and doing a bit of a dance after getting this big rock into place.  I used the handtruck, it is heavy!
And dressed again with rock, definitely better.  


These gargantuan slanted tweezers are fantastic for picking anything out of thorny aloes & agaves.  
from the other side.  The aloe in the upper bed is a variegated Hercules.  Should put on lots of growth in the next year and be the focal point.  The ponytail palm is in a pot and just temporary for some softness.  

Goofball, when I went out to pick some blueberries for my oatmeal -I caught Dr. coming down the tree. 
Anyone else getting hit by lots of heat?  Do you do anything to protect your plants?  I'm going to put some shade cloth out in the front for the week.  Have a great weekend :)

Comments

  1. I gather that you do not have back issues. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My back in hanging in there, knock on wood. I do seem to lose my balance and fall more than I ever used to, hahaha.

      Delete
  2. I have back issues and have had back issues for going on 15 years - I am way past wanting to do this kind of gardening work - and my plants don't have thorns! I have a lot of respect for all the work you put into your garden. (I also am most probably going to be helping my dentist reach his financial goals in the coming year or so)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I do sympathize. My mom has had issues with her back for years and gets so frustrated about it. The dentist can alway seem to find something that I should do that will cause pain and cost money!

      Delete
  3. Considering this time of year and the heat, I think that first image of your yard is just fine :) You got quite a bit done with a dentist appointment looming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yes I was under the gun! 85 is fine with me, but this next week of triple digits will scare me back inside.

      Delete
  4. Your garden looks great. The split fruits of the Echinopsis look very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They taste like really mild dragonfruit. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. It is interesting to see what cacti/sucs you use in your hot bed. I am a succulent enthusiast and have learned through expenisve errors some prefer shade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doc makes me smile.... LOVE your garden.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carla, he does bring me loads of joy :)

      Delete
  7. Wow, seven days of 100+! I can't even imagine. I know it's a "dry" heat, but anything above 90, no matter the humidity or lack of, seems uncomfortable to me unless I'm in a lake, the sea, or a pool. ;-) That split Echinopsis says a lot! Looks like your changes were dramatic, but should make a nice improvement. Good luck with the final stages of your Invisalign treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's better than humid for sure, but 106 is an oven either way, haha. I admit to jumping in the pool to cool off during the summer. Nothing better to cool a hot head. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. Your heatwave sounds nasty, Tracy! I put in 2 hours between 8 and 10am working on my back slope this morning and I was semi-miserable - and our temperature hadn't even reached 80F when I called it quits. We had one heatwave hit 113F several years ago and I hope I never see that again - it took 2 years before our lemon tree even started to recover. I hope your brush with 106F is overstated or at least brief!

    Your back garden looks more impressive every time I see it. The split fruit on the Echinopsis is almost as wonderful as the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do kind of get used to it. 85 feels pretty nice to me, when the humidity is low. But 106 is why the back garden is all cacti and succulents. It's going to be a scorcher. Thank you Kris!

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you have a pool to cool off in. Can't imagine doing that kind of work in 85F weather. You did a great job--the area looks great.

    I got rid of 'Blue Elf', too. Hummers did like the flowers, though. I hope you and your plants get through the next week--100+ for a week--yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahahahah dr.... that Echinopsis fruit looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!