Happy St. Patrick's Day!

It's been lovely, after a very windy day to start off our warm weather.  I've pulled a million little grass seedlings from the paths, but really nothing to "show" it's just maintenance.  


My current dilemma is... the Acacia 'Cousin Itt'.  They look lovely right now, but they get scorched by the first stretch of super hot days.  So that is typically June, then they continue to look half dead until Fall.  I've been looking for a replacement, a different 'Cousin Itt'  Casaurina glauca - and Ivan found 3 of them for me!  
As I've been busy, I keep putting off pulling out the Acacia.  I think because they look so nice right now.  Enough is enough!  I'll do it today. 

I did get the orchids and air plants hung back on the front porch.  Most of the staghorns were fine for the winter, but a few smaller ones did spend the winter in the downstairs shower.

These sweet tulips have opened up in the slope, a picture of one doesn't do it justice.  It's difficult to get a picture of how pretty they are dotting here and there.

The blue barrel cacti are doing their thing!

As is the cherry tree.

Nice cones, Banksia ericifolia compacta.

Another one that is difficult to capture, just awash in blooms.  Eremophila maculata 'Diablo Valley' or spotted emu bush.  I haven't caught a hummer on it, I would expect to.  It is in the back of the yard, so I could be missing it. 
I've spent most of my time kneeling on the little red cushion pulling grass from the pathways.  Hopefully before they drop their seed.  *I took this picture from a ladder as an experiment, everything looks miniature! 



Nothing better than a nice rest after a good day's work!






Comments

  1. Spring is looking splendid in your part of the state, Tracy! I love that staghorn display. Dr Feelgood reminds me why cats don't need to practice yoga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your front porch plants, such a great collection. Oh and that Banksia ericifolia compacta... wow! I can understand why you're putting off removing the acacia, it looks fantastic. Did you do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't! hahahah, I think I will today. I'm definitely fighting myself over this.

      Delete
  3. It just looks amazing! We had snow and graupel today. The poor daffodils have frozen in shock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow and graupel! Holy cow, I guess that's Spring for ya.

      Delete
  4. Here the Casuarina needed good and regular watering the first couple of summers to get going. Mine is now draping elegantly over the wall. It's a very cool plant. Sad that the "other" 'Cousin Itt' did not like your summers--they look so beautiful right now.

    Hope your St. Paddy's was a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, thank you for the tip. That area doesn't get supplemental water, so I will give it a nice splash from the hose this summer. Some years the Acacia is fine, but most years that spot is blasted with sun and they get burnt. Other areas with a little protection they are such a tough plant.

      Delete
  5. Your garden is looking just lovely, Tracy! It's only early in your warm season too, so I'm really looking forward to seeing the changes as the weather warms there.
    I'm sure we have emu bush here! You'd think we would actually, considering we have 'emus", lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A friend bought a spotted emu bush up here a few years ago. I have a feeling it didn't make it though. Very interesting plant. I like the ladder view - definitely puts things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jerry, so far so good on the emu bush. Maybe it's a short-lived perennial?

      Delete
  7. Un bellissimo giardino! Qui nel sud della Svizzera possiamo coltivare molti meno cactus ma ci proviamo lo stesso!

    SarĂ  un piacere seguirti! Un caro saluto!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love you cacti and the Staghorn Fern on the front porch! Everything looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, it looks so lovely and warm. ;-) We have been so chilly here and damp.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!