Rise up! I believe this is the first dry bed I attempted in the back.  And of course, I didn't pile up enough soil as I should have.  Time for a boost.  

Wanting to add a couple of the Phylica pubescens here really moved this to priority #1, meaning better drainage.  As I was digging deep under (to add pumice & gypsum) I was reminded what soil I started with - pure clay.  That's not a rock, it's a clunk of clay I gently squeezed together.  YUCK! 


After digging some good chunks of clay out and adding pumice/gypsum, I amended with 4 bags of sandy loam, gravel, handful of sulfur and a basic cactus mix - most importantly, no phosphorus.  So we will see how this experiment turns out.  If the Phylica don't make it, at least the bed is prepped for cacti and/or protea family.  What a little baby, I wish it was bigger.  Hopefully I get to see the tips of the branches glow in the sun someday.
I tried to restrain myself from filling this area, very difficult for me.  I did raid the greenhouse for a few things: Agave rancho tambor,  Neobuxmamia polylopha, A. arenicola which I hope snakes along the path, and a black flowered lotus.  It was just too empty.  


The day started off quite sunny, and about the time I was putting the top dressing rock on it began to really rain.  This rock had a hole drilled through the middle, so I stuck in a Dudleya that I found broken off in the slope, hopefully it roots.  
I ended up getting rained out before I could completely clean up, but I felt happy with the accomplishment.  Even with the plantings being tiny.  I'm seeing now that I added a mangave as well as a red flowered golden barrel (I grabbed this at Poot's last year).  And I made the decision to plant the Aloe hercules var. near the other end of this bed that will get a smaller overhaul.  Will post that soon. 
Happy Thursday!

Comments

  1. May your Phylica pubescens live long and prosper! Proper soil preparation is tedious but worthwhile. While soil in my garden is generally on the sandy end of the spectrum (our neighborhood was once a rock quarry), soil quality varies. I've got one succulent bed that's never done well, even though I supplemented the soil when I originally planted it. I've just started digging it up and I'm intending to truck in extra succulent-friendly soil this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, it is so much work - and not really fun. Sandy, you are lucky! Mine does vary a little, the soil in the slope is nice and plants tend to do well there.

      Delete
  2. Yikes, that is seriously clay soil. You could make your own bricks. You did a fine job on that reworking.

    I love Phylica, but have killed it several times. May yours thirive! I have one again inadvertently because it grew from a seed from one of the ones i killed--I stuck the seed in the ground as an apology. If you get any seeds try planting them--it's worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, that is good to know. I read the seeds are difficult to gather, as ants absolutely love them and carry them off!? Now I wish I had gathered some of that clay and built a planter of bricks with it.

      Delete
  3. I love your garden and that huge Agave is amazing! Clay soil can be a nuisance, but your plants will appreciate your efforts. Fingers crossed that your Phylica thrives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I really hope it makes it. I'm trying not to look at it too much in an attempt to pretend I'm ambivalent about it.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you have plenty of challenges with your soil, Tracy. Ours is clay-ish, but only when compacted, so I am lucky really. I have a mini hand-held auger which loosens the soil very well. I also add potting mix to the holes I dig when planting my plants, although natives, and especially succulents as you know, grow well in just about any soil. I hope your Dudleya plant grows well amid the rock - that will look great if it thrives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo! I'm grateful it isn't this bad everywhere - just in different spots. Mostly in the back of the garden. Fingers crossed on that Dudleya ;)

      Delete
  5. Wow, you are working hard. I had some Agaves, but turned out to be so allergic I pulled them out with my car! Good luck with the soil work. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What, I've not heard of an agave allergy - that's terrible! I would love to see pictures of you heaving them out with your car.

      Delete
  6. I've had to do the same thing with our clay. It's much easier to grow on top of it than trying to amend it directly. Sometimes it's so thick that I've been tempted to make pottery out of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!