Looks like we are headed into a nice drying out period.  Livermore didn't get too overloaded with rain, thankfully.  I'm going to share some more pictures of the Aloes that are beginning to wake up, some of these blooming for me for the first time! Aloe mutabilis 

Aloe ferox x capitata -blooms a little damaged from being moved/planted but still that nice fluffy capitata look.
It's raining now, but these are so bright it's joyful to look out the kitchen window and see the blooms.  Aloe munchii a little behind but should be open soon - along with A. tangerine 

I like this little vignette (by the AC unit) - this area used to hold a too big for the planting bed Bay Laurel.  I liked the laurel, but too tight quarters.  I planted it, I'm the problem it's me.  Ivan helped me get the base of the hefty roots out.  Although I'm seeing the pedilanthus is absolutely NOT taking off against the house.  Which is ridiculous, this is a sweet spot.

A. Tatangerine's have really brightened in color. Messy pine needles all around.  I've been pulling weeds and picking up mess, but I don't sem to be getting anywhere. 



I put in small plants, for cost obviously - and this is a big area to revamp.   So many aloes not blooming yet, I have to be patient.  So the following are honorable mentions, I guess?  haha
I think this is A. dichotoma? Or is it ramosissima?  It split into two heads this year.

A. munchii  so close!

I have several A. speciosa -I'm in love with them, hopefully next year I will get blooms.
A. Helenae -her leaves really close up during heat it's nice to see the newer leaves more open.
A. rupestris 
A. thraskii
A. striata
And the Grand Poobah, who will likely not flower for me but I love him anyway.  Aloe Hercules.  Taller than me now, planted from one gallon.
I'll stop now, it's starting to really rain and I don't want to bore you.  *She wouldn't be happy if I didn't include her little asparagus spear crown.

And a "rainbow over BBQ" from last night, I'm looking forward to somewhat blue skies for a bit.

Anyone have grand plans for March or April?  I'll start working on the front perennial garden - end of February most likely.  












Comments

  1. It's great to see wider views. You have so many aloes, it's wonderful to see!!!

    Your mystery dichotoma/ramosissima looks like dichotoma to me. For what it's worth :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your expert opinion! Thank you, I'm really looking forward to your agave post. I had so many rot last year I've been hesitant to add any to the ground. Of course, that didn't stop me from buying some and keeping them in the greenhouse.

      Delete
  2. You have a very nice Aloe collection, Tracy! I also started small with my Aloes and many have yet to flower but my collection is tiny by comparison to yours. Maybe the rain will prompt a few to get moving. We're supposed to get our final bit of rain this evening but there are blue skies at the moment. I'm hoping to get started on renovating the succulent bed in front of our garage once we dry out a bit. At the moment I'm stuck pulling weeds and chasing gophers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :). Weeds & gophers! We are positively soggy today, your blue skies are giving me hope. I'm looking forward to being outside again.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to see everything is drying up nicely after the rain. This morning we had down pouring rain and hail! Gorgeous signs of spring and flowers popping up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. *OOps, I didnt mean to delete. You had HAIL!! We were very soggy, more than I thought. I'm glad for the next 10 days of no rain. :). I bet you are loving all the signs of Spring there. xoxo Mom

      Delete
  4. The aloes are so beautiful. I wish I could grow those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden always looks wonderful--rain or shine. I'm glad the rain hasn't been too bad for you. Love the "sweet spot"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth! We did get quite a bit of rain yesterday, but happy to be drying out.

      Delete
  6. I was dreading hearing from the California bloggers I read and I'm so happy your beautiful garden escaped the worst of it. I enjoy seeing plants I can only imagine as houseplants where I live in the Northeast United States. Your Aloe Hercules is awe-inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I feel the same watching the ice storms & such! We all know how painful to lose plants to weather.

      Delete
  7. Fantastic view from your kitchen window--you have a wonderful area there.

    Aloes are so much fun--seeing the progression of the different species flower throughout the year--always something to delight in.

    Why would 'Hercules' not bloom for you? Mine does. Takes a few years, but faster than I expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you're right - it could bloom. I guess I've read that they don't always send up a bloom, but this one is happy enough I shouldn't project that negativity.

      Delete
  8. It is all so lovely. I enjoy seeing all the photos.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your plants are so interesting, textural and sculptural. (And in there somewhere is cerinthe!) Hope you get to dry out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes the cerinthe is all over the front perennial garden. And just about the only thing looking nice at the moment. I put in one plant several years back and it happily reseeds every year - in a polite way.

      Delete
  10. I'm loving seeing all the aloes in flower in all the winter gardens now! My plans for the upcoming months are to get into my garden again once the weather has cooled and get on top of the weeds! I am pulling out a couple here and there, but the sun is still too hot to have a long gardening day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pinkish Echinocereus pectinatus-looking cactus and the silvery Echeveria are going to look so well growing up together with the Aloe behind them in photo 4, not to mention the red spines of the Ferocactus off to the right. Great planning. I wish I had that kind of foresight. I don't even care that the Pedilanthus is being ridiculous. I am surprised that Setcreasea pallida is doing well under dry conditions. No wonder it is such an adaptable houseplant.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!