I had a spontaneous outing to Richmond yesterday.  My initial purpose was to get some bagged sandy loam from Acapulco Rock & soil.  Each 3/4 cu ft bag is $8.15.  If I could go back in time, I definitely would've had a yard or two of this delivered and mixed it into planting beds. 

And then I stopped at American Soil & Stone (about .5 mile down the street from Acapulco) to grab some small boulder/rubble.  I've removed a few sad soggy agave from this bed, I need to build the bed up to provide better drainage so I don't have to worry about the rain.  Although this year we haven't had flooding, it will just be great to have this "done right".
I REALLY missed having Ivan at American Soil & Stone, I needed his strength!  He can pick-up some massive boulders I cannot possibly lift or get into the car.  I'm already planning a trip to go back with him & Sophia to help me get my hands on some larger stone.
And I ended up having time to spare before meeting Sophia in Berkeley for lunch.  So - I thought "oooh Annie's Annuals is having 20% off President's Day sale", why not?  


They were definitely in the middle of sprucing/adding plants to their planting beds.

I wondered what/who the cages were keeping out?
A massive amount of Mangave 'lavendar lady' - I nabbed one.  I thought it was so interesting to see how different they all were.  Some very pineapple-top shaped.  Coloring varies.

Right ahead of me in the check-out line, a couple of ladies from/for the  French Laundry were picking up CARTS & CARTS of plants for their restaurant.  This was a few of them, I wanted to hear the total but I was out of there before they were.  If you're planning on going soon, except a LOT of lupines and delphimiums, hahaha. Bonus, kitty cat sighting.
And joy of joys!  Ivan & Sophia had found Phylica pubescens at Flowerland last week.  He knows I have been looking for this plant or seeds for a year to no avail.  *Strangely I was on the "waitlist" for this plant at Flowerland - number 8 I believe.  I think the list got thrown out.  These were $25.  I was't completely truthful that I couldn't find them anywhere.  They were at another place in Berkeley for $75 each!  Way too rich for my blood, plus I know they can be picky.  Couldn't risk it.  Will definitely add sandy loam + a little sulfur to the planting mix for these.
And a bonus gift from Ivan (from his friend David) a huge Haemanthus humilis.
It is truly a giant! Ivan affectionately called it Dumbo.  It barely looks real.  I'll have to find a nice spot for Dumbo.  
A fun day, always good to see my daughter Sophia!  And we had delicious Thai food if you were curious.  
What is the weather doing where you are?
We are expecting under 2" of rain in this next storm.
Have a great weekend!


Comments

  1. I love rocks and boulders in the garden. I am about to purchase a few myself. I dread trying to move them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, they are a lot. I can use the hand truck but just getting them on there is the tricky part! I hope you find some gorgeous boulders!

      Delete
  2. I'm envious on multiple grounds! I need more well-drained soil to add to the succulent bed I intend to renovate (some day soonish), although I did find a local source that'll truck it in. More importantly, I'd love to visit Annie's in person someday. As often as I peruse the available plants online, it's just not the same experience. I'm glad you found Phylica for a decent price. I've tried it twice, only to have it enter stasis, then eventually fail. The first time I saw the plant years ago was at Seaside Gardens in Carpinteria, where it was offered for $400 ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $400!!! Crazy. I'm worried it won't "go" for me either, but I have to give it a shot. I'll try mixing sandy loam with cactus mix and a some of the sulfur pellets and keep my fingers crossed. Annie's is such a great spot, and I agree going in person is better. You can pick & choose the best specimen. And SEE everything. The traffic coming back home gets hairy in the afternoon, keeps me from going more often (probably a good thing!).

      Delete
  3. Thai food--yum! Mexican and Thai are my favorites, along with some American and Italian meals. That looks like a wonderful place to visit. Good luck with the boulders--they look amazing in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth. I should've taken a picture of the lunch but I started eating immediately, lol.

      Delete
  4. I loved seeing you for lunch! I feel like dumbo is going to look amazing in your garden. wow look at that agave at annie's! I can't wait for you to come back soon! I want to visit annie's soon too. It really does almost feel like spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very nice specimen of Haemanthus humilis. Maybe those cages are for that cow I see lurking in the background...haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivan texted me that it is actually Haemanthus coccineus- oops, I didn't realize. hahaha, yes protection from hungry cows!

      Delete
  6. Oooooh ... your Dumbo plant looks interesting! I wonder how big it grows, and does it flower? I love your nursery photos. Give me a plant nursery over a dress shop any day. ;) And a beautiful way to end the day with your daughter. <3
    Our weather is beginning to cool, just a tad, but the air is definitely changing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dumbo will flower, (hopefully!). I'll definitely post when it happens. Agree, plant shopping is always a yes! Your hydrangea is lovely.

      Delete
  7. When I read Richmond I thought Annie's Annuals, thanks for the peek! I haven't been there for years. That Agave vilmoriniana is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This made me chuckle. I was at American Soil & Stone and Annies just a few weeks ago!

    That Haemanthus is killer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both stops are so fun, I fight the urge to go again right now!

      Delete
  9. Agave vilmoriniana (Octopus Agave) in the display bed is MASSIVE! A perfect specimen... Wow.
    Phylica pubescens, Yay! Excellent find.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!