A quick check in, it's finally cooled off!  Whew, we had several days of kissing 100 degrees.  Then, boom down to 70.  I was finally able to start cleaning the greenhouse, couldn't stand being inside it during the heat.  Even with the windows completely unattached to the roof.

Several aloes I just received - but I don't want to plant them in the slope until Spring.  Who knows how much rain we will get this winter, this just feels safer for new plants.  Still many more pots to be added, I probably need another small table.  I made that goofy one, but it fits so nicely and is narrow.

While I was shopping at the  Waltzing Matilija sale before they closed for the hot months, I saw a beautiful Erythrina x bidwillii in a pot.  It was covered in vibrant red blooms, just gorgeous.  Sadly, he didn't have any for sale.  I managed to get my hands on one from Woodlanders and after being shipped and neglected for a few days, was happy enough to send a bud out almost immediately after being grounded.  Troy said to chop it back every year to keep it in control.  Although I've seen them trained to small trees that were appealing.  I can't decide.  
Some dahlias have shown up VERY late to the party.  



Some nice combos, mangave and berzelia albiflora - these two needed shade cover July-September.  But I think was worth the babying.  
An unexpected little velvety halo.
A cute Aloe arenicola I couldn't resist, I need to look around for the right pot.
So many lizards this year, see this little one soaking up the warmth on Humphrey the tortoise's back?  I found Humphrey at a thrift store, he's incredibly heavy I wonder what he's made from.  

And hummingbirds galore.  This little bully has taken to this spot on the Aloe Hercules to keep others away from "his" feeder.  I love going out for the last feeding frenzy of the evening to watch them furiously zooming around. 


Pedilanthus bracteatus looking it's best this time of year.

And the poblano peppers are producing more than I can eat!
And Dr. Feelgood says why sleep now?

I am loving the cooler temperatures, we'll be settling in the low 80's this week.  Much better than 97,98!

Lots of clean-up to do in the coming months, and preparing for el nino.  Anyone else out there who has to bother with frost covers for tender plants?  Or moving things inside?  I'd love to hear how you tackle the frost or rain.

Comments

  1. Great photos of the lizard and the hummer (and Dr Feelgood too, but that goes without saying). We're lucky that we've never had frost and winter temperatures aren't an issue here. My soil leans to the sandy end of the spectrum - our neighborhood was a rock quarry in the 1940s before the area was sold for housing developments. That's a good/bed thing - the soil drains well but drought conditions have more impact. Best wishes with you winter preparations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your climate is just about perfect, maybe someday I'll move in next door, hahaha.

      Delete
  2. Dr. Feelgood...love the name! We had a similar sudden shift in temps, but it was from highs in the mid-80s to the 50s. Brrrr... I'm not happy about it; early October here in S. Wisconsin usually offers 60s and 70s. Oh well, still no frost. Your purchase plant is beautiful, and your Dahlias...wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He takes his namesake seriously. 50's! it's shocking how cold it feels when the drop happens so suddenly. 60's & 70's - I would've thought Wisconsin would be colder than that in October. Hopefully it has switched to 60's/70's again for you.

      Delete
  3. We had a little warm blast over the weekend which took us up to the mid 80's, it was wonderful! Now we're back to the 60's and rain. Ugh. I've started my "Great Migration" which involves several different layers, like moving non-temperature hardy things into the basement. I think we *might* build the shade pavilion out into it's greenhouse form this weekend. A little early, but last year things were so wet (agaves that is) going in that I lost a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lost a few agaves as well, dang they stink when they rot! I swore not to plant any more in ground - only pots. But I didn't listen to myself, I grounded a few. I'm with you on the migration - I'm still figuring out where everything will go. I may sacrifice my bathtub for a few months.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!