PLANT CAPERS.  About 2 years ago, I was on a morning run and saw that a ponytail palm had been left by the sidewalk.  It was very rootbound and in a cracked terra cotta pot.   I was in the middle of a slope "re-do" at the time, clearing out for cacti & succulents (just above the pool at the time).  I ran by it a few days in a row and thought "why not" left a note -are you getting rid of this plant, I'd pay you for it.  They texted back the same day- just take it, you can have it!

I grabbed my hand truck and walked over, except I didn't realize I had one flat tire!  I lugged that palm home on the bum tire and was a sweaty mess by the time I made it back- lots of cars stopped to stare at the crazy lady huffing & puffing, hahaha.  I'm glad I made the effort, I know they are not exotic, but I love the way it looks & that it is a trio.  The tallest of the three is considerably taller than me now.
This is I think about when it was planted and I added the ginger rocks to the slope above the pool.  I'm guessing it was just 4' tall at the time.   I can see the rest of the yard was still perennial and raised veggie bed.  *That raised veg bed was filled with redwood tree roots, you can see the culprit from the fire lane!

It's amazing to see how much this has grown over just a couple years.  I good reminder for me to be patient.  
Close to the day of planting, I believe when I actually did the ginger rocks?  The silver torches are so small!

 Acacia(s) cousin itt got super scorched this year from a week of triple digits- I've trimmed out some of the damage, hopefully they recover over the winter.   I found a shot of adding the Yucca rostrata  - I believe Ivan dug the hole for this.  In true Ivan fashion, he dug a hole to China that we backfilled.  

I'm wondering if you have any plant capers, deals of the century you've had?  *I currently have my eye on a multiple headed golden barrel in a pot in a front yard, should I leave a note?   

Also, yesterday I took out Snuffleupagus (the shop vac) - to suck up all the debris in the grooves of the stamped concrete patio.  It's the only way to get the job done, sweeping just doesn't do it.  I had the bright idea to suck up the pine needles from the Redwood - that was working well for 4 minutes before they clogged snuffy's tube.  Oh well, I did have good luck cleaning the agaves & aloes of spider webs & debris - the teeth rip up the gloves when I try by hand - and bulky gloves are too cumbersome, I don't get anywhere using them.
Very satisfying!


And, we did get a tiny bit of rain about .03.  
So refreshing!  Someone was NOT happy, forced to nap inside. 


















Comments

  1. You're truly a plant-infatuated gardener. I can't think of any similar plant capers on my part, unless I count removing all the lawn we inherited with the garden. It was originally between 2/3rds and 3/4ths grass when we moved in and we dug the majority of it out in increments by hand after 2 small attempts to have the sod stripped away by "professionals" failed to rid us of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plant infatuated, I like that! Removing lawn is a chore - I did a good amount of that as well. Probably the only garden chore I dreaded, moving the lawn. I know some people enjoy it, I just do NOT. *I removed the very looooong parking strip of grass at our last house in Oregon. We were on a corner, I have no idea how many feet long, but considerable. I filled it with gorgeous ground covers, stones and bulbs. After we sold the house, the new owners pulled it all out and filled it - with grass again! hahaha, to each their own! *At least the neighbors told me they preferred my look.

      Delete
  2. So beautiful. I'd love to set my garden and yard like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thant is a lovely compliment, thank you. I constantly see what I want to change, I need to stop and enjoy what is good.

      Delete
  3. Did you read the post about a friend and I moving five huge Yucca rostrata? That was probably my biggest caper. http://www.thedangergarden.com/2022/09/meet-holman-my-adopted-yucca-rostrata.html
    Then there was the car full of free plants I picked up back in the beginning of September. Yep, plant capers are the best! I love your ponytail palm, the size and shape of it is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I have read the free plant post - but now I will go pour over the post about moving FIVE Yucca rostra. A true caper!

      Delete
  4. Those silver torch cacti and the Y. rostrata in particular look great! Especially backlit. Backlighting is one thing I never considered before I started gardening--now it's a major thing to place plants so they sparkle and glow at various times of the day.

    Plant capers--can't say I've ever found any giveaway plant worth taking around here. Does digging out tree stumps by myself count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say digging out tree stumps definitely counts, that's a big job! I love what you said about lighting - it's true. I'm continually playing around with it.

      Delete
  5. I saved a very large staghorn fern, attached to a metal chair, from the curb on trash day. Owner said it came with the house and she thought it was ugly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a lovely find. Shocking how much things change in a short amount of time. As a kid, I used to get many houseplants and houseplant books from the apartment dumpsters. I was surprised by the number of perfectly good plants that people would throw away because - I dunno - people just got bored of them?! Some of my most memorable plant capers involved my grandmother. Whenever we were in a store or restaurant with houseplants on display, and she saw something she liked, she would get this gleam in her eye, and suddenly her hand would dart out, snag a cutting, and boop - off it would go into her shirt sleeve, purse, or bra...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!