I'm back!   The crinums began opening while I was away, probably a "grandma plant" to some, but I love them.

My friends and I attended Harefest for the weekend, camping in Canby at the Clackamas County Fairgrounds.  Was a great time.  It was at 100 in Livermore for 4 of the days I was gone - I was sure my perennial garden in the front would be crispy and crunchy, but it really pulled through pretty well.  I put up shade cloth and watered really deeply before I left.   My friend Tina (choking Ozzy) and I (I guess I'm trying to growl? hahaha) with the Black Sabbath tribute band.  

Family dinner Saturday, fast forward to Sunday -my oldest daughter Sophia and her BF Ivan have been encouraging me to properly mount some staghorn ferns that were stuck here and there in pots.  Ivan found some manzanita branches, and bark to bring over.  Also, he trimmed my palm trees and had the fantastic idea of using those curved palm branches as a good base.  Here is a large potted staghorn in a random basket,  and four that were mounted - but the base was falling apart.

Sophia & Ivan, getting to work!  They are both avid plants people and I really can't describe the amount of help they have been - physically and artistically.  It was muggy and warm, so we kept moving further and further into the shade.  
 
This whole project has opened a whole new can of worms.  I starting cleaning the porch, rolling up the old rug- got rid of shelves, threw things away.  I'll do another post on the finish - I'm very inspired for a porch makeover.  Of course I didn't take proper pictures of the real messy side with the shelves unfortunately.

*Ivan explaining that the fern was actually going to choke itself to death because it was mounted incorrectly. 

In other news, does anyone have guesses on this wee sprout on Lophocereus Schottii Monstrose - new branch or flower?

In the middle there, slight little red spot.  I'll be keeping my eye on it!

And a gorgeous bloom from Ms. Mars sunflower, she reseeds politely every year.  First bloom was July 4th, very appropriate coloring with the sunset hitting the backside.
We're expecting mid 80's for the next 7 days, that will feel nice after the 105 Saturday.  How hot is it where you are?  

Comments

  1. Great job on the staghorn ferns! I have one languishing in a pot too...And that sunflower is stupendous. We've hit 89F here today but I don't think the thermometer has stopped climbing. The marine layer that bailed us out the previous 3 days seems to have abandoned us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just watching the news now, it does look like the heat from AZ is headed your way. Tomorrow will be 95 here, then a 10 degree drop (which I'm really looking forward to). Hoping you're not getting too scorched!

      Delete
  2. You've been busy! Looks like Sophia and Ivan are good helpers. :) The Staghorn Fern arrangements are wonderful. And the Ms. Mars Sunflower is nifty. I'll have to look into getting a similar one. I really like the pattern of it. We've been hottish (for us here in S. Wisconsin) much of the summer. This week, we're in the high 80s and 90s until the weekend. Apparently Iowa and Nebraska (and other Midwestern states) will have highs in the 100s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are the best - and so fun to talk about plants for hours without boring anyone, lol. Whew, that is hot for S. Wisconsin! I wouldn't think you'd be that hot, this year feels drastic heatwise for everyone. I'd be happy to send you some seeds from the Ms. Mars heads - they are drying up now. It is a little shorty sunflower, not a nice tall one. The color makes up for its diminutive size.

      Delete
  3. Bravo Sophia and Ivan. Nice to have a little help once in a while and plant-talk is the funnest.

    Beautiful Crinum and especially the sunflower--out of the ordinary.

    I looked up Harefest, wondering if you were a pet rabbit aficionado. Whoops, music not bunnies. I'm more than a bit out of touch culturally. Coolish weather ahead--enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm happily out of touch as well - it was 80's music. :)

      Delete
  4. Wait what? The fern was going to choke itself to death? Please tell me more, I don't have a clue what the difference between correctly and incorrectly is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to have Ivan answer this - but if I understand correctly when the growth tip is facing downward, the shield frond can cover the new growth and suffocate itself. However, I'm reading and it seems the fern can right itself if it is mounted incorrectly. This one was in trouble tho, it couldn't seem to figure it out.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!