Feelin' Hot HOT HOT!  Livermore hit 108 Saturday, and Sunday will be the 3rd day of triple digits.   I jumped in the pool a number of times yesterday to cool my head off while I was "trying" to put some shades up on the most wilty and sulky of plants.  Happy 4th!  In Livermore, a flag is placed in every yard in the weeks leading up to the 4th.  I think by the Boy Scouts, but I can't find real confirmation on that.  All fireworks are prohibited, and they passed a law this year that property owners/party hosts are liable for any fireworks set, all damages and includes a $500 fine.  Considering how dry & hot it is here, I'm completely on board.  Not to mention the pets that are really traumatized by the booms.  They do have a big fireworks celebration held at Robertson Park, which I think deters people from setting off their own.

*Planters from ikea.  The begonia Santa Cruz has doubled in size - and the hummers are visiting it frequently.  My 3 acacia cousin itt above the pool have really taken on a big scorch - dang, and it was looking so pretty draping over the side.

The blueberries have begun ripening, yum!
The first sunflower has opened.
The cherry tomatoes are the first of the varieties to be ready for consumption!  
How dare you, sir!  I can't believe this guy survived the sun.  Well he didn't survive after this intrusion.
Rudbeckia took the heat in stride, with some watering.
Aloe distans sent out a bloom almost immediately after being put in the ground.  The color is kinda meh, but I love the very round shape of the blooms.
The gaura seems to love the sun, I did give it a drink.
I don't remember the name of this black foliaged dahlia, but it is always a dependable long bloomer Summer to Fall.

echinacea - love the red.
Cantaloupes are really taking off!
Of course, the zuchini is fine.  
And I shaded the cukes, they don't take the heat here well.
Sweet echeveria blooms, 
Happy 4th to everyone!

Comments

  1. Ouch! Poor you - and poor 'Cousin Itt'. All fireworks are illegal here too. The fine for a first offense is $1000, $5000 for the second and $7500 for the third but, even so, we've been hearing fireworks for over 2 weeks now. There's a haze hanging over the LA harbor that has nothing whatsoever to do with our marine layer ;) I hope you enjoy a colorful but peaceful 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I see you had a lot of fireworks. We got loud here last night, too. Some kids stupidly started a fire in one of the vineyards in the afternoon. Luckily a firefighter was out on a bike ride and saw it, stopped it right away. Thank you, we did have a nice day (with somewhat cooler temps).

      Delete
  2. Yikes it gets hot in your area. My A/C bill would be ginormous or else I'd be in the pool most of the time. Wince for your Acacia 'Cousin Itt'. Hurts to see that. At least you have the heat to make a cantalope sweeten up.

    Your last photo of the Echie--it is sweet indeed! Beautiful plant.

    Your town's policies on fireworks are only sensible. We have laws against them too but enforcement is near impossible. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our AC bill was ridiculous $$$$ so we put in solar a couple years back. It has helped immensely with cost. We don't have many cloudy days - we're just far enough away from San Francisco Bay to stay clear. We got loud last night, I'm glad none of it was too close. And it seemed to end by 11. I guess even with all the laws, thats the best we can hope for. You'd think all the fires would teach people a lesson!

      Delete
  3. Now I know the ID of this begonia. Santa Cruz. I've been trying to get IDs for all begonias in my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the full name is Santa Cruz Sunset, sorry I dropped the Sunset!

      Delete
  4. I'm sure we didn't get as hot as you did, but there was lots of scorching and drying out here over the holiday (99F), not to mention a few wildfires that were fortunately contained. Envious of your orange/rust rudbeckia. I've been trying to find some single flowered varieties in a mix of darker rust colors for a few years now, but they only seem to come in doubles. Such a great flower for heat and drought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, it is dealing with the weather like a champ! I wish I could remember how/when I came across it ? I think it was just an end of 2022 summer add in for an empty spot.

      Delete
  5. Your 'Cousin Itt' is like most of us: a little fried on the outside, but hanging in there. Your garden looks lush and vibrant in spite of the heat. I bet your tomatoes are loving it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!