Signs of life.   Enjoying some beautiful cactus blooms at the moment.  Rebutia muscula has been blooming for a few weeks now.  In a cement pot I made a few years back - one of the few that didn't end up disintegrating. 

Eucrosia mirabilis!  Whew, I forgot/neglected caring for this bulb from The Bulb Maven and I'm shocked that it has thrown out a leaf and survived.  This was outside and we definitely hit freezing temps (in Livermore this is usually a few hours in the early am).  Yippee!  I ordered several bulbs from Telos, and I have to say the bulbs I've planted directly in the slope have really been strong.  Tolmie Star Tulip, Scadoxus and Brunsvigia.  I have a new order in that will be shipped to me in July 2023.
Echinocereus rigidissimus has been blooming for about 10 days,  each bloom lasts roughly 2-3 days and of course close up at night.  Little busy bee inside.

Aloe distans recently grounded has immediately pumped out a bud.

unknown in a cracked pot.
One of my Aloe suprafoliata was drowning in water for a few days (I missed flipping the saucer underneath so it was sitting :( in it). The stem seems to have recovered, but in the meantime it sent out a handful of babies. They are growing right from the base of the stem.  At least this is what I believe happened?   
A close-up.  I don't know if I should just let this ride or start new plants?  

Check in the greenhouse, Pachypodium Brevicaule has woken up.  
I added a couple Feijoa, pineapple guava.  I think they are beautiful, I'm a sucker for leaves with a different color topside than the underside.   Also as Sophia showed me, the petals are so delicious!  I could eat a mountain-sized bowl of these.
And with any luck, will provide a nice bit of shade for the table area.

Yesterday was all about trimming the neighbor's pomegranate tree that was severely hanging over our side of the fence.  They are a rental property (and the renters are fabulous) but the homeowner does nothing to control the pom, olive and pepper tree.  I had my son Vincent help me with the heavy branches.  Still, I managed to cut my hand with the pruners.  Ouch!  Not serious, I decided stitches were unnecessary.  There was A LOT, 2 -96 gallon compost  bins full of chopped up pomegranate and this one still to do.   

Thankfully, Dr. Feelgood was here to oversee my bandages.  All those years of medical school really paid off.




 











Comments

  1. I love the orange flowers. I have a pineapple guava in the ground. I don't get many blooms but it seems to get better every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I really like the orange as well. I should've mentioned this was a bush form, so I thought I could get away with potting it. I think in the ground is probably better for fruit? I hope you get loads of blooms this year!

      Delete
  2. Your cactus blooms are all beautiful. Your mention of Telos Rare Bulbs is going to send me back to that site to see if there's something I have to add to my own garden. I've ordered Lachenalia bulbs from them before ;)

    I tried to prune the tip of my thumb a few weeks ago myself. It's mostly healed now...I hope your cut heals quickly too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sorry I encouraged you to spend $. Lachenalia, hmm I don't have any of those. lol - now you've got me looking again! Dang, I'm glad your thumb is healing. The pad of my palm is healing really well, a good reminder to wear gloves especially when I'm rushing through an unwanted job.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!