How I felt when I heard we are getting more rain.  I thought today I would share an area of the back garden that is a work in progress.  When we first moved in (14 years) the backyard was dirt, clay, clover and not a single plant.  J built a long raised bed so I could plant tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, melons, onions, lettuce, herbs etc.,  to my hearts content.  This was wonderful for years and we enjoyed so much produce.  A snack in the afternoon of a perfectly warmed by the sun garden tomato with salt & pepper YUM!



Summer 2022.  The last crop from the original raised bed.    









Then, the bed well - kinda shit the bed.  Also, no matter how much I was amending the soil with compost from the chicken coop and vermicomposting worm bins built right into the raised bed - the soil was just dry.  It is HOT here in the summer, so I had shade cloth over this area in July/August which did improve the tomato crop.  Around this time our last chicken, Henny Penny passed away.  RIP Henny Penny you were a great one, 13 years old.  A big sweet Buff Orpington.  So I knew I could build a new bed in the old chicken coop area, and take advantage of chickens pooping & scratching at the dirt there for 13 years 

Out go the boards, thanks for the memories!







As I was removing the boards, I couldn't believe the amount of roots invading the bed.  If you look to the left of this picture you can see a redwood tree from the lane next to our house.  The culprit!  He was sucking up gallons of water and fertilizer from the tomato bed.  It was sweaty work removing as much of the tangled tough roots as I could.  There are actually 3 redwoods in the lane, but this is the closest - so I'm putting the blame on him.  




After the root removal (as much as I could tackle anyway) added 2 yards + numerous bags of soil.  A trip to American Soil & Stone rock yard with S & I.  I helped with bigger rocks than I could ever have lifted in the trunk.   Also, with placing them thank goodness.  And S has a fantastic artist "eye" for placement.   To my delight American S&S had "pot rocks" so I grabbed several of those as well.  

I added leucadendron, grevillea, aloes, mammillaria, agave macroacantha x2, 3 golden barrels (one has since succombed to rot) and various dudleya planted between rocks.  I've managed to annihilate another Banksia in the progress.  I give up on any more Banksia.  



This bed is roughly 34' feet long by 8-10' deep (depth varies)

Topping with California Gold, 1 yard of 3/8ths and 2 yards of gold fines which I used to spruce up paths as well.  Wheelbarrow by wheelbarrow.  

Since the plants were new, and this was a VERY HOT time of the year I did stake up some shade cloth for the hottest weeks.  This is a full sun situation until about 5 pm.  








I'm seriously thinking of painting/staining the fence black.  Wouldn't that make the plantings pop as they grow?  We have a LOT of fencing tho.  




The plants took the heat far better than the torrential rain and freeze that followed this winter.    I can't wait to add to this bed, I have accumulated plants over the winter and they are patiently waiting to go in.












Big girl, Henny Penny in the middle.










Dr Feelgood enjoying the succulents & sunshine yesterday.











Comments

  1. I can't wait for more sunshine I have to say! Those tomatoes were delicious. I miss those chickens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, me too - although at least it isn't solid gray day like the other storm. Last night was so LOUD! Hopefully we'll have plenty of tomatoes 2023!

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed this story about your garden (I started at the beginning post). You put a lot of work into your garden and it shows.

    Your climate is much more challenging than mine. Brava to you for trying so many different plants in tough conditions--heat, cold, flood...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, your garden is so lush and gorgeous! This year has been a doozy, looking forward to the spring more than ever.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, ~Tracy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring energy!